Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hiring Philippino Helper Question

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hiring Philippino Helper Question

Hi All,

Hoping someone here can help me out with this question. My husband and I have hired a Philippino helper, she just signed the contract and we ARE NOT going through an agency since she has already been here for 6 years. This is our first helper and have never done this before.

Here is my question - I understand before I take the documents to HK Immigration I have to get them "stamped" by the Philippine Consulate. Has anyone done this themselves, and no the new helper can't do it b/c she has already headed back to the Philippines.

What so I need to give the Philippine consulate besides the 4 copies of the contract? I know I also have to pay about HK$300. My husband has just had to rush out of town for a business meeting and I am "due" in 13 days so I will be the one doing this running around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Canucker

rani is offline Administrator
    Here's a list the Consulate needs to stamp the contract

http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/main.htm

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Thanks Rani. I had checked out the website earlier and think we are hiring under "direct/name hire" and by looking at what other supporting documents I need - copy of our tax return, original and copy of my husband's HKID card and our helper's airline ticket this will have to wait until he is back in town.

Remind me to give my hubby a good kick to the butt for leaving hiring a helper so late in the game, for refusing to use an agency and then going out of town and leaving this to me with 13 days to go until my due date. Ahhhhh!

Thanks,
    Canucker

Direct Hire is a new helper who has never worked in HK. If you scroll down the page you'll see the following:

Transfer/Change of Employer with Finished/ Completed Contract
    • Old Contract (original)
    • New Contract [4 copies from HK Immigration Dept. – ID 407
    • Valid Passport & valid latest visa (original)
    • Duly accomplished OFW Information Sheet (DOWNLOADABLE FORM)
    • Hong Kong IDs (both Employer and Helper - photocopies)

If the helper has already left HK, they will accept a photocopy of the passport. We submitted my mom's helpers papers and they accepted a photocopy. They did ask to see a copy of her plane ticket back to HK. We didn't have a ticket but a travel agent booked a flight for her and we showed them the itinerary of the e-ticket. Once her paperwork was approved we bought her a ticket from Manila and never issued the e-ticket.

HTH
    Last edited by rani; 09-04-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Canuker, Sorry just spoke to my parents and because their helper had already left HK they had to submit proof of income etc. Guess you need to follow the Direct Hire list.

Sorry for the confusion.

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    We also had to go down the direct hire route as our helper had also left Hong Kong. We just had a receipt from a travel agent for the ticket then booked the dates when we knew the visa was ready. Also - if your husband is the employer (the employer must have a valid working visa, not dependant) then you will need a letter from him stating that you are submitting and collecting the paperwork on his behalf. Include your ID number in the letter and take your ID with you to the consulate. A right pain I know. Once you have all the right bits and pieces it is a relatively straight forward process. I actually took the papers I had into the consulate and asked what else I needed so was fully prepared for actually submitting the papers next time I went back.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I just finished processing papers for a new helper under the "direct hire" program (it's my first time too!) and for the airticket part, it should be an "open-ended" ticket so when you buy it at the travel agent, get them to issue a TEV (an orange piece of paper) in the helper's name which the Philippine consulate will also accept. I got my ticket at an agent on the 2/F Worldwide House in Central for approx HK$1200. Btw, you will also need to have to sign an undertaking form which has to be endorsed by either a practising lawyer in HK or you can pay them to endorse it at the Consulate. But don't worry if you don't have all the documents when you go to apply. They will simply ask you to bring the missing doc(s) on the day when you return for the stamped papers (usually takes around 3 days). You may want to bring someone to go with you - so one of you can line up at the counter to process the application, and the other can line up for the cashier. They are separate lines and the cashier one is super long!
    Last edited by peainpod; 09-04-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast