Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Queen Mary- what happens if I'm overdue

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Queen Mary- what happens if I'm overdue

A question I keep forgetting to ask when I see a doctor.

I'm registered to deliver at Queen Mary. If I go over my due date will they ring me up and ask me to come in to get induced? How long will they let me go over (just the standard HK 1 week?).

Any experience with the public system and being overdue that you could share would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,
    Jane

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    When I was expecting, I think it was about two weeks before my due date that they gave me an induction date "just in case". The induction date was for about a week after my due date. So I'm guessing that it's standard practice to not let you go more than a week over.
    All the best,
    Katie

mosmom is offline Registered User
    POW hospital in shatin gave me an "appointment slip" for a "just in case" induction months before my delivery. my due date was 21.7. and the induction date stated on the slip 30.7. so they expect you to go to the hospital after 9-10 overdue days. check your docs that you received from queen mary. maybe you'll find your appointment slip there.. if not, call the hospital or drop by to ask about your induction. a doctor, as far as i know, can't really help you in this (unless you're giving birth privately at q.m., i guess).

alibali is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at queen mary and attended Tsan Yuk for my pre-natal checks. At my last checkup before my due date, i was given an induction date. It was one week after my due date. That seems to be the official time period. I explained that I wanted to wait 2 weeks, but the doctor would not agree to that. I was induced on schedule.

alibali is offline Registered User
    Forgot to mention, I think the Tsan Yuk told me to show up at the hospital very early in the morning, even though I was told that I wouldn't be induced until the afternoon. When I called the maternity ward at the hospital directly the day before the induction day, it said I could come in as late as 2pm, so I got a few more hours at home vs. public hospital ward. The process to get induced is time consuming. When I checked in, I was immediately whisked away to be put on monitors for ages (my poor husband hung around in the hallway, not knowing what was happening). I was finally given the inducing medication around 4pm I believe- this was the first chance I had to talk to my husband since I checked in. I think the doctor also broke my water around the same time (they don't tell you these things, you need to ask what they are up to!) The contractions started at 6pm and were really strong straight away. (I read that contractions due to induction are more painful than naturally going into labor...) That's about it, the rest of the delivery is like what was already mentioned on other threads. Hope this helps.

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for your replies. Alibali thanks for your info...ok..it all sounds like there is a "procedure". I"m hoping that I won't have to get induced but for some reason I have a feeling I might have too. I'll make sure I ask them lots of questions so I know what they are up too. Can't beleive your waters got broken without them telling you!
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience.