Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Safety solution for windows on high rise??

beautifulday is offline Registered User

Safety solution for windows on high rise??

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving into a high rise apartment in midlevels soon and
    want to put some sort of safety lock/ window limiters on the windows so they don't open enough for a toddler to fall out.
    My land lord won't let us get bars on the windows so I need to look at other solutions.
    Can anyone recommend what to do and a handyman that's good?
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Have you checked whether the windows themselves have locking mechanism? they just look like little holes on the frame and with a small hexagonal key, you can lock the window. Think a lot of the aluminium window has them.

You can always buy the plastic locks which you stick onto the window frames, but dunno whether they will stop a child.

Portia is offline Registered User
    You can definitely get a mechanism put on the windows which limits how far they open. I am attaching a link which shows the type of hinges that we had put onto the window: http://www.securistyle.co.uk/Securis...r%20Restricted. The hinges do not show at all and I am very happy with them.

I'm not sure about a handyman or where to get the hinges as we had it done by a contractor as part of a larger renovation, but maybe someone else can recommend a handyman. It was quite a big job as I think that each window had to be taken off so that the hinge could be drilled on at the top and the bottom of the window and attached to the frame. It took a day and a half to complete. The cost of labour and the hinges for each window was over $500. It amounts to quite a bit in a big flat! Hope this helps.

syuan is offline Registered User
    you might also consider (clear see-through) glass/plastic panels that run across the window.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Our landlord also did not want us to install window grills or plastic panels on the windows as they were concerned of damage to the window frames. So we had thin wires installed between the frame and window so that the windows can only open a short distance. You can't see it from the inside when the windows are closed, and there are only small holes where the wires are screwed in - you can remove them easily with a screwdriver in case you need to clean the windows (though I must stress a toddler would not be able to remove the screws unless they were particularly handy with a philips head screwdriver!!). A locksmith was recommended to me for the job. Contact details are:

Leung Pui Kee Limited
    116 Wellington St, Central
    Tel: 2544 3272
    Ask for Albert if you need someone who speaks English. I found it was easier to actually go to the shop to explain what I wanted.

helena is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulday View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm moving into a high rise apartment in midlevels soon and
    want to put some sort of safety lock/ window limiters on the windows so they don't open enough for a toddler to fall out.
    My land lord won't let us get bars on the windows so I need to look at other solutions.
    Can anyone recommend what to do and a handyman that's good?
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    If you don't mind a novice job, you can try what I did. See attached pix. Any metal chain and plastic fastener will do the job, and the chain can be adjusted to desired length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0549.JPG 
Views:	697 
Size:	837.2 KB 
ID:	299  

beautifulday is offline Registered User
    [
    Thanks for the contacts name. i will give him a call and see how i go.

QUOTE=tstmum;863618]Our landlord also did not want us to install window grills or plastic panels on the windows as they were concerned of damage to the window frames. So we had thin wires installed between the frame and window so that the windows can only open a short distance. You can't see it from the inside when the windows are closed, and there are only small holes where the wires are screwed in - you can remove them easily with a screwdriver in case you need to clean the windows (though I must stress a toddler would not be able to remove the screws unless they were particularly handy with a philips head screwdriver!!). A locksmith was recommended to me for the job. Contact details are:

Leung Pui Kee Limited
    116 Wellington St, Central
    Tel: 2544 3272
    Ask for Albert if you need someone who speaks English. I found it was easier to actually go to the shop to explain what I wanted.[/QUOTE]

puru15 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by syuan View Post
    you might also consider (clear see-through) glass/plastic panels that run across the window.
    hi, could anyone pls suggest a contractor for these plastic panels for windows? thanx! :)