Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feedback on French kindergarten in HKG?

Rocketdog is offline Registered User

Feedback on French kindergarten in HKG?

Would anyone be able to give us feedback on French kindergartens in Hong Kong?

I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure out the French International School website. As far as I can figure out, the kindergarten at Sheung Wan takes kids from age three onwards (but the website is under construction, so I'm not getting anywhere), and the primary school at Jardine's Lookout takes kids from four onwards.

Also wondering if there are other options?

We have a two and a half year old kid who speaks French and English, and will be moving to HKG in May.

I went through the French schooling system myself, and found it gave me a solid education. But it can also be quite rigid. We are also looking at alternatives, with friends recommending the Woodland schools, or even the Chinese international school.

Anyway, any advice about French education in Hong Kong?

Cheers

kathyching is offline Registered User

Re: French International School

Hi,

Actually French International School in Hongkong is separated into two stream, i.e. French Stream (For French speaking Countries or holding French passport to apply) and International Stream (For English speaking and they follow British curriculum with French as a second language).

So it depend what stream do you want to apply. Because for French stream, they start at 3 year old and for International stream, they start at 4 year old. The kindergarten at Sheung Wan is for French stream only, because due to overcrowded in Jardine Lookout, they move a part of French kindergarten to Sheung Wan for temporary only. But for International stream, their kindergarten still in Jardine Lookout. And all primary students are all study in Jardine Lookout.

For this school they are quite rigid, so it is up to you. But this is the only school in Hongkong put a lot of emphasize in studing French

Rocketdog is offline Registered User
    Any further info on the Sheung Wan kindergarten? What age group does it cater for? From three to..?

And what's a typical day like? What do kids do?

Do they offer full-time/ part time? Full days or half days?

What are the fees?

By the way, you can reply to all this in French, if you prefer

Re: French International School

Hi,

For French stream, they also divided into French Classes and Bilingual classes. The Bilingual classes is 50% English and 50% French. French classes is mainly studying in French and English as a second language .

For Sheung Wan kindergarten, they only cater Petite Section (3 year old) and Moyenne Section (4 year old)(for both French and Bilingual classes). And from Grande section onward, they will study in Jardine's Lookout.

For the whole school, they offer full day education on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursaday. But on Wednesday, they off at 12noon, and on Friday, they off at 2pm.

The school fee is around Hkd56000-60000 for French Section and a little higher in International Section.

For the school, they will do Literacy, Numeracy, Handwriting, reading in each day, And art, library, ICT, music, science, topic,PE, and swimming (swimming only start from Primary One or Grande Section) per week.

For me, I am a Hongkong Chinese and don't know French and my daughter is studying in Internation Section.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hi Kathy
    If you happen to see this post, I was wondering whether the children at FIS (international section) learn any Mandarin? It didn't look like they did from their website, but as others have mentioned, it's not a very informative site. Thanks!

MamanV is offline Registered User
    Hi Portia
    There is only one session per week (45 minutes) because priority is given to French obviously.

ingridnorth is offline Registered User
    hello kathyching,

Based on your experience, what is the attrition rate in your daughter's class every year the past couple of years?

I just had my daughter's name down for P1 but was told that that the waiting list is long and places would only become available if someone leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyching View Post
    Hi,

Actually French International School in Hongkong is separated into two stream, i.e. French Stream (For French speaking Countries or holding French passport to apply) and International Stream (For English speaking and they follow British curriculum with French as a second language).

So it depend what stream do you want to apply. Because for French stream, they start at 3 year old and for International stream, they start at 4 year old. The kindergarten at Sheung Wan is for French stream only, because due to overcrowded in Jardine Lookout, they move a part of French kindergarten to Sheung Wan for temporary only. But for International stream, their kindergarten still in Jardine Lookout. And all primary students are all study in Jardine Lookout.

For this school they are quite rigid, so it is up to you. But this is the only school in Hongkong put a lot of emphasize in studing French

Hi ingridnorth,

In the past couple of years, only 2-3 students left every year especially in junior primary. Also they will give priority to those British or holding corporate debenture. If you are a Hongkongese, your chances are minimal.