Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Home remedy for cough

LittleLams is offline Registered User

Home remedy for cough

My daughter has had a persistent cough for the last 6 weeks. Doc gave us Bricanyl which did not do the trick. After seeing him again, he asked us to try the inhalants that are used by asthmatic kids but she does not like using it at all. The cough has not gone and I am looking to try some home remedies which are safe and proven to cure coughs. Thanks

tikkunolam is offline Registered User

You should contact the IMI for alternative remedies. They have a dispensary.

http://www.imi.com.hk/

syuan is offline Registered User

Hi LittleLams. I'm in the same boat. My 3-year-old daughter has had a cough for over 6 weeks. Not serious, just a few coughs here and there throughout the day. Sometimes sounds like phlegm, sometimes dry. Sometimes with a clear runny nose. Sometimes coughing at night, sometimes only daytime. Can't seem to figure it out. I've tried cough suppressants, antihistamines, broncho-dilators, chinese medicine. Nothing seems to work. Would love to hear about any home remedies too. Thanks.

LittleLams is offline Registered User

Hi syuan, I am currently trying Sambucol which is upper respiratory natural health product on my 3 year old. Bought from 360. Will let you know how it goes by the end of the week.

syuan is offline Registered User

Thanks LittleLams. Have tried Sambucol before which we took for quite a while. Seemed to work well in the beginning for staying immune to common cold viruses and for boosting overall immunity. But I think the effect wears off after a while and you're suppose to take a break from it. Thanks for the reminder, maybe I should go back to it again. However, I'm pretty sure this cough is heading towards asthma, which is exactly what happened to my son too, so not sure if Sambucol will help, but can't hurt to try!

joannek is offline Registered User

yes, you should go to IMI, but to see Dr. Sonal, the homeopath. my daughter & several of my friends kids who had persistent coughs for more than a mth went to her, and the cough was gone within 3 days after taking her presecribed homeopathic remedies. All of us said "we should have brought our little one to see her earlier if we had known!!"

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

homeopathy, and if you are chinese, then there is a TCM remedy for infants which has been used for many years - my son stopped coughing in a few days . You can buy it at Yu Yan San, and its called Monkey Bezoate Powder ( I don't think it has anything to do with a monkey though). Its a tad on the expensive side, but it works like a charm with bub.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My grandmother used to always mix together about half-half lemon juice and honey. I think it really helps - I still do that when I have a sore throat. It's too "strong" for my husband so I add water, kinda make it into a "tea" drink... but you can always try that. It probably lessens the symptoms more than treats the cause though, but sometimes that's all you need for a little while...