Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

room temp, sleepwear and bedding!

aussie mum is offline Registered User

room temp, sleepwear and bedding!

hi
    Just wondering what temp people have baby's room set to and what they wear to bed.

Until today I had the air con on & set to 21 degrees as this was a recommended temp I read somewhere (? don't know where). He was in a sleepsuit, 0.5tog sleepbag, miracle blanket swaddle - arms only as too long for bottom ;-)
    and had a few cotton cellular blankets on top. He has always had an IQ Air purifier on in his room while he is sleeping.

He has a terrible cough so I have turned the air con off today and have a fan in the room, the windows open and the air purifier on and a glass of water in the room - I would have a humidier in there but I can't seem to buy one here in summer.
    The room is currently 25.8 degrees. He is in a nappy, 0.5tog sleepbag, swaddled arms and has 1 cellular blanket on top.

He has just had the BEST daytime sleep EVER! In fact he is still having it!!!

I am wondering if he prefers the warmer temperature?!?!?

Any ideas? Is this temp too high and a SIDS risk?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    How old is your baby aussie mum? Sounds like a lot of bedding at that temperature. At the moment, my bub sleeps with the air con on (old fashioned small kind set into the window) and the room at 24/25 degrees. She wears a nappy, light short sleeve onesie and an 0.5 cotton grobag. She's 1 yr.

In the winter we heat it to 24/25 with a radiator, have a 2.5 grobag (merino wool and cotton) and a long sleeve, footed onesie.

A lot of the temperature advice you read about online or on grobag eggs gauges etc. is not appropropriate for humid, tropical climates. My health visitor said 24 is optimum for HK.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    hi Leah - he is 10 weeks old. ..
    I have just checked in on him and he isn't sweaty. his forehead feels nice and cool.

My 2.5 year old wears long sleeved PJ top, nappy and 0.5 tog sleeping bag to bed with air con set to 23 and feels warmer than my 10 week old does right now....

Interested to hear that 24 degrees was the temp recommended to you.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    We have ours set to 24oC and the kids wear --
    -a sleeveless onesie under long sleeved footed jammies (for the 16-mo)
    -a sleeveless shirt under regular long-sleeved jammies (for the 3-year old

Portia is offline Registered User
    I seem to recall that the hospital nursery was 24 degrees C as well. Anyway, a few things to keep in mind with the A/C - it is breezy so there is a wind chill factor and even if the remote control says 24 degrees C, the actual temperature in the room may be hotter or cooler depending on the size of the room and the strength of the airconditioner. My LO seems to sleep best when his room is around 23 degrees C. He sleeps in a diaper, long sleeve PJs and a 1.0 grobag. He seems comfortable, although if it was me I'd be cold!

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    I'm the same a Portia, Josh sleeps in long sleeve footed PJ's (onesie suit) and a 1.0 grobag. I try to keep the room about 22/ 23 degrees C (I have a grobag egg to gauge the temp near the cot). I found 18-21 degrees C too cold for me so I thought it would be too cold for bubba!

How thick is a cellular blanket? I would have thought the swaddle blanket & 0.5 tog grobag would be enough at that room temp? Josh used to sleep with just a grobag swaddle blanket before I moved to the sleeping bags.

Maybe he's having a great sleep because he's a bit under the weather too? Hope he gets better soon!

Belinda

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    my 9 month old sleeps in a tshirt and diaper and thats it, and we have the aircon on at 23degrees which is lovely and cool but we have a nice warm doona on the bed so we can snuggle up...we cosleep so if she ever feels cool, she just snuggles closer to me.

my 3 year old has the aircon on all night too and wears a nightie but again sleeps under a nice doona.

i actually think that sounds like a bit too many clothes for a 10 week old. remember too that you should be feeling for temperature behind his neck, not on his forehead.

Matty is offline Registered User
    J sleeps with long PJ's with the room at 25.
    He used to sleep at 20-21 when he was in his grobag, but since moving to his big bed I've given up trying to keep him under the doona!

L sleeps at 21 with long pj's, a cotton swaddle, with a cotton sheet over the top to keep him in his swaddle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast