Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Prince of Wales public vs private (differences)

steveholy is offline Registered User

Prince of Wales public vs private (differences)

I can see that this topic has been discussed several times in the forum. However, I am still not very sure about the detailed differences between the two except the huge cost difference. I would appreciate your help to make a list to directly compare the two options. I will list some that I believe are true:

1) If you are a private patient, you can select the doctor who will deliver your baby. (You need to make at least 2 or 3 consultation visits to this doctor each around 750-1750 HKD, and a follow-up 550-1550HKD.) If public, whoever is available will deliver the baby.

2) If private, you will have your own room (1 or 2-beds depending on your class) during labor and after delivery. (2nd class=2600/day, 1st class=3900/day) Your husband will be with you during the entire time including the labor. If public, you will be in labor in a maternity ward where there may be around 10-12(?) other ladies. Your husband is not allowed during the labor (except in some cases where either the husband or the mom is too assertive) but he will be allowed for the actual delivery. For the delivery, you will be transferred to a delivery room.(?)

3) If private, normal delivery is charged at 24-31K, C-section is 31.1-38.1K. A deposit of 40K is needed for normal delivery versus 60K for C-section. If public, the cost is very minimal.

I have doubts about the following two:

4) If public, midwives will perform the delivery but a doctor will also be available in case something goes wrong.

5) If private, you will be allowed to have a person to stay with you after delivery. If public, you stay in the maternity ward with several other women and are not allowed have anybody to stay with you except during the 3-hour visiting times scheduled by the hospital.

6) The delivery rooms are the same whether private or public.

I would appreciate your additional comparisons for the two services and any corrections for the list above. I am mostly interested in knowing if there are any differences regarding the medical treatments of private versus public customers.

Thanks a lot.

Smiles is offline Registered User
    3) If private, normal delivery is charged at 24-31K, C-section is 31.1-38.1K. A deposit of 40K is needed for normal delivery versus 60K for C-section. If public, the cost is very minimal.

Some private hospitals e.g Adventist, require a deposit of 20K but I don't think this is the case for all private hospitals. However if you don't have a HKID then the deposit is a lot higher.

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Hi - I gave birth at POW this year. Hope I cna answer some of your questions.
    1. Yes whoever is on delivers.
    2.If you are in full labour and more than 4 cm dilated in POW you go straight into delivery and your husband can stay with you all the time unless you end up having and emergency csection. If not you go to labour ward with other women and husband is not allowed in unless its visiting hours. After you have given birth my husband was allowed to stay in the room with me for an hour and then I was taken back to the ward and he was allowed to stay for a further half hour. After this it was visiting hours only. But I was out the enxt day and needed to rest so it didnt matter.
    3. Yes cost minimal even if you end up having a csection.
    4. In public highly trained midwives are there to deliver and the doctors in and out all the time. If there are any complications doctors are there all the time.
    Delivery rooms may be a bit more luxurious when private but POW light and big and clean. No problem and by then I didnt care !!
    The medical care generally in HK is very good and I imagine there is little to choose between private and POW however, the POW is a teaching hospital and also has a great neo natal unit. In some of the private hospitals if something is wrong with the baby it may be taken to the public hospitals like Queen mary or POW and you will be charged private rate for the same care.
    Hope this helps.
    F

steveholy is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the feedback do far; very helpful. Just to make a little clarification: I am referring to POW public and POW private, not any other private hospital.
    Many thanks.

mami is offline Registered User
    Need one more clarification: does this mean that in any case, your husband is allowed in for the delivery?
    Thanks!

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Yes unless it is an emergency c-section