Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Crying it out

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Crying it out

This is question for just the mommies and daddies out there who have used the CIO method...

I am considering using a mild form of CIO (letting him cry but with me in the room patting him every 5-10min) for my 7.5mo old whom i SUSPECT has gotten into the habit of waking up at odd hours in the night crying only for comfort/attention. Problem is, he sometimes has gas and I am not 100% sure he is not waking up due to gas issues. So my question for those parents who have used CIO before is- how did/do you know that your baby isn't crying due to gas pains? I know the textbook signs that I've read about, but in the middle of the night it's so hard to tell, when it's dark and you're groggy, exhausted.

Thanks for any advice.

LeahH is offline Registered User

I just tried to get as much gas up as I could prior to bed after milk. Lots of rolling of legs, massaging her tummy etc. At 7.5 months gas wasn't much of a factor for us though. I was worried about teething pain though and gave her a little baby ibuprofen/panadol just to be sure.

It was undeniably pretty traumatic the first night (45 mins of crying before sleeping), but she cried for increasingly reduced periods the next day for all naps and the next night it was only 5 mins. Ultimately it worked like a dream and we now have a champion sleeper (after waking every hour through the night...). It was just that she had to learn the trick of going to sleep herself having been assisted by us for so long.

Do watch out for a little backsliding after 5 days to 1 week, this is really common and you have to ride it out.

CIO is not for everyone, but I would say it was fantastically successful for us and she is a much happier baby for getting uninterrupted nights sleeps and good day time naps.

mushi is offline Registered User

clowe 77, gosh!! i thought i was reading one of my threads i had given earlier/.////got tons of advice on starting the CIO but never had the guts to do so....but guess what....i did it!!! It sounds awful by the name but it is not so and it REALLY WORKS!! 2 days was all it took after seven months of sleepless nights./////sometimes i go to his room and pinch myself to make sure i am not dreaming!! ...... i would loev to help u so pls. PM me if u wish,.

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies! Did you do CIO 'cold turkey' or a milder form as in leave baby in there crying for 45 min without any patting at all? problem with our baby is that he often gets up and stands in his crib when he cries and i'm so worried he'll fall and hit his head which is why i rush in to soothe him always.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Hi, it was a milder form for us. We went in after 2 minutes, then in increments of 5 - 10 mins up to a maximum of 15 minutes (for the length of the 45 mins the first night). The next day you leave it 15 before going in . I did actually pick up her up each time, though you are not really supposed to, more for my own reassurance really

I used this site for advice:
    http://www.askbaby.com/Baby-sleep-training.htm

Also, www.babysleepanswers.co.uk which was amazing as an expert 'team' on their forum answer your specific questions straight away. That worked well for me as they are in the UK so up and able to answer during our HK nights. You can buy the book and download the pdf straight away which I've found helpful.

I also took her to the Ped prior to starting to make sure absolutely everything was ok - and warned the neighbors...

Good luck!!!!

NYCMel is offline Registered User

It worked for my son too who at the time was around 8.5 months. We found that going in every 5 mins was not effective and neither was the touching for once we rubbed his back, my son thought it was playtime. Once we knew that there was nothing wrong with him - was not sick, clean nappy, correct temperature, we let him cry for about 10 mins - 15 mins straight. We would then just go in and peep at him to make sure he was ok then if needed to continue to cry, we let him. He never really cried more than 20 minutes straight.

Things to remember though when doing it:
    - make sure there are not other factors effecting his sleep - temperature, cot toys, blankets etc....
    - he/she is not sick
    - if you also having this problem during the day, that you are being consistent with your behavior during the day and during the night (that was one of our problems).

Hope this helps and keep it at it - don't give up! It will work!!

elizaveta is offline Registered User

And why noone considers gradual approach? There is a book called "no cry sleep solution" written by a mum...
    If CIO "works", it does not mean it is the best method for the child... anyway, you may have guessed I am anti-CIO and trust me, I have exhaustive experience with non-sleeping child. Who is a great sleeper now.

adahc is offline Registered User

So what do you do when I baby stands up? Put him back down or just leave the room and let him get down himself?

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast