Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FM or Fresh Milk for 12mth old?

fennho is offline Registered User

FM or Fresh Milk for 12mth old?

I'm currently still nursing my gal who just turned 1yr old. Lately lots of people kept asking me when am i going to give my gal FM? Of cos, the best is still BM and i'd like to continue nursing her till she's at least 2yr old maybe. But i felt like my supply might be dwindling, and since i direct latch, i dunno how much exactly is she drinking and if it's sufficient for her development. Anyway, if i'd like to supplement, do i need to give her FM or can i give fresh milk? I'm a bit concerned of giving FM aft all the milk scandal scare. My sis kept saying eventually i've to give her cos ALL babies need to drink milk powder eventually cos of the nutrients and vits instead of fresh milk which may not have. Is this true? Anyone did not give FM to their babies at all?

carang is offline Registered User

once a baby reaches one year old, cow's milk is fine.
    and no, not all babies need formula, there are millions in this world that have never tasted it.

if you are feeding your daughter a balanced diet including fruit and veg, then you shouldn't have to worry about the "extra" vitamins in formula. besides, i'm sure that cow's milk has some... if i remember vitamin D is a big one, not to mention calcium.

i, personally, would go from BM to cow's without having to wean from one to another and then have to do it all over again.
    i only use/used formula because mine weaned off of BM at 6 months due to my work schedule.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my sis went straight from BM to FM just because she was the variety of foods she was giving her children provided the "extra" vitamins that formula has over FM. a lot of HK parents keep their children on formula till 3/4years old though - I'm not sure why myself, perhaps because it ensures that one's child will have "everything" and stay healthy. I think I will go straight to cow's milk though and give her a mixture of food since I'd like her to try different foods and not be a picky eater when she grows up...

LeahH is offline Registered User

Cows milk (or goats) has the huge advantage of being a natural food, formula is a highly processed liquid designed to be used if BM is not avaialble or possible to give under the age of 1. I can't think of a reason a baby would need formula over fresh milk after the age of 1. Same as Cara, I weaned my baby onto formula at 7 months only because my supply dwindled when I went back to work. I went onto organic cows milk asap after she turned one.

FShah is offline Registered User

I don't think FM has more added nutrients/vit than fresh milk. I'm sure a good variety of food would be able to provide your little girl with all the necessary nutrients/vitamin.

Like you (you'd aware actually) our girls are of the same age, i'm still BF-ing her & i'm also not sure by ounces how much she drinks per day, just using my gut that she is drinking enough. I'm giving her a variety of food, & for calcium wise i guess yoghurt & cheese, plus i give her a small amount of soya milk diluted with some water once a day, just cause she don't go very well drinking fresh milk on its own, just like me. :)

fennho is offline Registered User

thanks mommies for all your (prompt) inputs! And for putting my mind at ease with my decision on giving her fresh milk directly instead of FM!

Leah
    it is comforting to know that there are mommies who actually changed into fresh milk asap once ur baby turns one.

FShah
    *wave*. My gal is taking fresh milk for her breakfast with no problem. So i tink i will contd doing so.

My next questions would be:

1) Is my nursing her 3-4 times during the day sufficient?
    2) Any recommended meals/ingredients for her solids to ensure she's got all the nutrients covered? Sorry if this sounds really silly, as i've never been a healthy eater myself (gorged myself silly with unhealthy snacks, fast foods, etc) so, in my dark twisted world, i'm always paranoid that i'd unknowingly deprived her of certain vits. Apart from calcium which i know i'm giving her enough (via yoghurt, cheese and fresh milk), what else do we need to ensure them to eat and what are the recommended food to get these vits?

Thanks a lot!

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

At 1 year your baby won't be drinking BM so frequently. Mine drank about 4-5 times/day on ave at 1 year and it slowly decreased over that year to only 1 feed/day. As they get older they are more distracted when out and stop feeding out of the house, and then slolwy it became somthing that was just at naps and bedtime. If you haven't had a supply problem in the past, you likely won't have one now. I never gavemy children formula. What would be the point of starting formula past 1 year? I gave whole fat sow's milk with meals. If your child is eating a variey of foods and vegetables they will get all the minerals and vit they need fdrom their diet, just as an older child and adult does. The only "extra" vitamins I give are VIt D (because I live in Canda, nto necessary in Hong kong). A good rule of thumb for veggies is to try to eat at least 1 green and one yelloe/orange veggy/day.

This booklet is available online and was recetnly done so it is up to date. If you scroll down and click on the "healthy eating and active living for 1 to 5 year olds" you will find it. Hope it helps

http://www.healthyalberta.com/Docume...r_Old_2008.pdf

southside852 is offline Registered User

Can you give some suggestions of best organic cow's milk to buy at the market? Holle?

what other liquids should 1 year olds be drinking? my son turned 1 last month and he still drinks formula and water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast