Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Starting a Craft/sewing club!

YTV
    YTV is offline Registered User

Starting a Craft/sewing club!

Would anyone like to start a craft/sewing club?
    I was thinking of starting a club for those of us who would like to shair there idears on sewing or beeds making etc.

what time is best for every one.
    I'm a fulltime mom and don't have a helper, so I'm only free on the weekends or after 6pm during the week when my husband takes over.
    any suggestions?

Here are a few problems I need solving.
    If I start a sewing club,

1) how do I solve the problem of the hassle of bringing your own heavy sewing machine to a venue?
    2) if I provide locker space for your sewing machines which means that people don't have to lob the machine around for each get together, what if you want to do some sewing at home? Still means you have to take it back and forth.
    3) I could buy a bunch of sewing machine for the club but don't have the money to buy about 10 machine.
    4) I need to hire some one who can teach us how to sew at least for 1 or two classes so we can get some expert advise.

We could start off by doing hand sewing items and beads making then see if anyone would like to do more.
    I can teach the basic of bead making.
    I have a friend who knows how to sew and make clothes and pattern cutting not sure if she wants to teach.
    I also know someone how can make clothes, bag etc but she cant speak English, I guess I could translate.

what do you guys think? worth doing?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    For me, although I really fantasize and dream about learning to sew on a sewing machine and making my own clothes, it's just that--a dream.

To put the money into buying a sewing machine for myself would mean that I would have to be very serious about making good use of a machine and I just have a feeling that I don't have the passion to really do that.

It would be really sad for it just to become a dust collector and as a busy mom with a lot on her plate, I really don't want to add another "to do" (i.e. Well, I had better get out the sewing machine and work on that dress, because afterall, I paid money to buy it) to my list unless it's something relaxing.

And as you pointed out, there is the problem of storage. Maybe not a problem for everyone out there but I honestly don't have any place to store or even really use a sewing machine (we have one small dining table about the width of a sewing machine).

But, crafts, I'm all for crafts. Things that can be hand-sewn, painted and created without the use of a sewing machine really seems more realistic/doable to me.

If you want to make this your own business, there probably is a demand out there for it. Many women might be interested in learning how to sew. And that would mean, investing the money in machines and a venue and working out the logistics (and I don't have any really good suggestions for dealing with the take-home vs. keep in a locker approach).

If you want it to be more of an informal get-together, my suggestion is that whoever is interested would sign up on a mailing list and then you could schedule meetings that way. Eventually, at each meeting a different member or group of members would have a specific craft/project that they would teach the others how to do and then spend the meeting time or more time at home if necessary finishing up the project. It could work around themes (home decor, clothing, toys etc). If that is the type of group you're interesting in starting, I would love to be a part of it.

YTV
    thanka2, for your suggestion. I have the same problem too house work ,baby and no space. I did buy a min sewing machine from Watson for around $140 still sitting in its box unopened.

What about get together in a coffee shop and share ideas. No need to bring anything?

nino is offline Registered User
    I've been wanting to start something like this for a while! I'm also a full time mom with no helper, so meeting when my husband can look after my daughter is ideal. Or, meeting for coffee to share ideas/ask questions/project udpates with my daughter would also work. Sometimes you just need inspiration and motivation to get things done.

kairo is offline Registered User
    I like the suggestion of a craft club. I do some sewing but also think that carrying your machine everywhere a bit silly. Craftmaking, teaching each other, sounds like a good idea. Let me know when you plan to meet.

Koan is offline Registered User
    I like this idea too! I don't sew, but I knit and like to knit toys and clothes for my son.

I've pondered buying a sewing machine and learning to sew, but my husband is already annoyed at my knitting needles and yarn stash taking over the spare room!

YTV
    Great, I'll wait for a few more people to join and we can suggest day date time and place.

What kind of craft you guys do make or do?

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    wow, I would love to join you gals. I just made these tonight :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast