Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: What do you think of the natural birth options in Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Orgasmic Birth

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Orgasmic Birth

Another video I thought was quite interesting:

20/20: Pleasurable Birth

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

`Mommy, tell me about when I was born.`
    `...Maybe when you`re older, dear.`

cliffette likes this.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I'm surprised to see so many people think the natural birth option in HK are satisfactory.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie mum View Post
    I'm surprised to see so many people think the natural birth option in HK are satisfactory.

I suppose it depends on the OB you're with. I was encouraged to go ahead with natural birth, despite my age, etc, and that's exactly what I did. But true, hospitals/OBs here don't do water births.

Umm, an orgasm was definitely THE last thing on my mind during contractions. Some people really have mind-blowing imaginations.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie mum View Post
    Me too--because:

1. Not allowed to do homebirth with a certified nurse midwife
    2. No birthing centers in Hong Kong
    3. An extremely high c-section rate in Hong Kong
    4. Birthing coaches/doulas not allowed in the birthing room (right?)
    5. No access to hot water/tubs during labor (right?)

Where I'm from, these are the bare minimum requirements that need to be made available for natural birth options to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerscrossed View Post
    I suppose it depends on the OB you're with. I was encouraged to go ahead with natural birth, despite my age, etc, and that's exactly what I did. But true, hospitals/OBs here don't do water births.

Umm, an orgasm was definitely THE last thing on my mind during contractions. Some people really have mind-blowing imaginations.
    I think the term "natural birth options" refers to more than just the attitude of the OB. If the OB is like, "Yeah, sure, have a natural birth" but then doesn't coach you/teach you how to have one and make the tools and setting available as well as personnel available to really encourage you to have one, that's not really a "natural birth option." It's kind of one of those things, "If you can do it, do it, but don't expect any extra support" here in HK, I think. Did your OB actively help you have a natural birth or were you simply able to pull it off on your own?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

When you talk about 'natural' birth are you meaning a birth with no drugs or a vaginal birth?
    My view is that there is very, very little help in Hong Kong for a birth without drugs. I only know about five mothers who have managed this here.

Quote Originally Posted by barbwong_130 View Post
    When you talk about 'natural' birth are you meaning a birth with no drugs or a vaginal birth?
    My view is that there is very, very little help in Hong Kong for a birth without drugs. I only know about five mothers who have managed this here.
    Vaginal birth is vaginal birth but natural birth is a drug-free birth, in my opinion. You can have a vaginal birth with drugs and interventions (suction, forceps) but you can't really call your birth a "natural" one if you had a dose of narcotics to numb the pain, I think or your labor was started or augmented artificially. I guess I'm a "purest" in that sense, though.

The nurse midwife at the birth of my son, had worked in several different settings before working at the hospital I gave birth at. She told me that in most birthing centers, pain medication is not even an option on the table--instead they provide a plethora of natural aides to get you through labor.
    Last edited by thanka2; 10-20-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast