Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pros and cons of DB?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Pros and cons of DB?

Hi

I have posted a similar thread on AsiaXpat and received some helpful responses (thanks Cara!) but if anyone on this forum would like to share their thoughts then that would be great.

Considering a move to DB as it seems to be a more child friendly place than Mid-levels. If you have lived there, I'd be interested in hearing the real pros and cons.

Cons (but I have never lived there):

- feels a bit fake
    - very expat (pro and con)
    - commute into Central (always quoted as 25 mins on ferry but then there is the bus from DB apartment and the walk from the Central side to work ...)

Pros (but I have never lived there):

- more space
    - more child friendly - parks/playgrounds and clubs which are more accessible and less expensive than HKCC and HKFC
    - less traffic safety concerns for children
    - more family orientated environment?
    - less expensive than midlevels?

Thanks
    SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 11-18-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi SB2, saw your post on AsiaXpat :) My friends who live in DB love it. We tried going there once, and after a long drive, realised that we couldn't drive our car to DB ... how stupid of us haha!!

Not sure of your requirement, but thought maybe I could throw another option to you. Have you considered Kowloon West? We were living in Mid-levels before, but moved here after I got pregnant. I was hesitant at first about moving to Kowloon, but I am a convert! Kowloon West is really very good for family. There is a good mix of locals and expats. The commute to Central is only 1 stop via the Tung Chung line. The developments are large with good facilities, and there is a lot of open space, playgroup for kids to play in. There is almost no traffic in the compound and extremely child friendly. No clubs here though. I love taking my baby downstairs. There are lots of parents with kids of all ages playing within the development where we live, as well as on the patch of grass and playground just outside. You should check it out :)

DOWNSIDE: property prices are getting more and more expensive here. About the same, if not more expensive than mid-levels. It's crazy. But between Mid-levels and here, I'll pick the latter.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks obiwan. Good to have a couple of places to consider. Having been in Midlevels for a while we feel like its time for a change with a second baby on the way and also rental prices in Midlevels going up and landlords don't seem to agree with the Govt that the rental averages are down! Are also considering Pokfulam but not sure that it is different enough from Midlevels to warrant another 15 mins further from Central. Need to get out there and look at what apartments are available and prices.

Thanks again

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    We checked out Belchers and BelAir in Pokfulam. Both are family friendly with big compounds and good facilities. Belchers is closer to Central, while BelAir (though newer) is less convenient when it comes to transportation. Have friends who live in both and they are all happy. Another positive for BelAir is that it's friendly for families with dogs. Thing with Midlevels is that unless one lives in a large development (say Robinson Place), many of the apartments are single block with limited facilities. Not a lot of free space for the kids to run around downstairs with traffic etc. Good to check out your various options - you have quite a few, depending on your criteria (budget, convenience, schools etc).

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    A really big con for me was the fact that it's really hard to get into DBIS and DC, especially without debentures and stuff. There is no way I am going to put a 5yo on a boat to school.

Other, I don't think DB has a lot to do with Hong Kong ...

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    We didn't want our lives centered around ferry schedules. The whole air is better here has never cut it for me either. There is an entire airport right next to the island. You want better air or a suburb like atmosphere for kids, you could live in Clearwater Bay or Saikung. Lack of diversity is another issue for me- one developer thing is very icky for my perspective and everything seems to be about expats. As much as I can appreciate having a expat community like on this forum for advice information etc, not sure I would ever want to live with them.

rani is offline Administrator
    I don't think I could handle the ferry either. I like being able to hop in a taxi and be home within 20 mins :)

jane01 is offline Registered User
    suv - don't want to live with expats, charming, NOT.

Well, not many responses from people actually living in DB, only those who have never lived there. So to balance it out:

Pros
    * I think the air is slightly better than Central and Midlevels because there are generally low rise buildings, surrounded by the sea and you get lots of breezes. Other than that, it is the same revolting air that everyone else breathes.
    * Child friendly - everything from the local supermarket stocking lots of child-friendly products to restaurants catering to children (one even has a play area) to children always being able to find someone to play with at the local park. It is very family orientated.
    * Better value for money in square foot than Midlevels
    * I don't mind the one-developer set up. It means that buildings are well maintained.

Cons
    * Schools - not enough school places for the population. Having said that, DBIS and DC provide an excellent education.
    * Ferry - I don't live to the ferry schedule, but I did when I first moved to DB. I travel at peak hour into work in Central and if I miss a ferry, there is another in 15 mins. Sure beats the cue for a taxi to Midlevels. My commute (to Princes Building Central) is about 50 mins door-to-door, including the local bus. I spend less time commuting than colleagues on the South-side and it is a much nicer commute (Ferry with a guaranteed seat beats standing on a bus going 100miles an hour anyday).

I'm guessing the population of DB is about 50/50 expats and locals. The 50% expats are a very diverse group and you meet some really interesting people. My daughters school has children from 47 different nationalities, which I think is brilliant.

No, I don't find DB 'fake' at all. Well maintained parks and buildings, yes. Really easy to make friends, yes. Great community spirit (Halloween, Mid Autumn Festival, Chinese New Year, fun run, picnic in the park, etc), yes. Fake, no.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast