Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Getting baby from HK to Macau

Mikimoo is offline Registered User

Getting baby from HK to Macau

HI
    I am an Australian citizen living in Macau- i will be having my first baby in HK (Matilda Hospita) and want to return to Macau as soon as possible after the birth.
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for getting a new born across the border? I am hoping we do not have to wait until passport is received as my husband will be working in Macau and we would like to bring the baby back as soon as possible.
    Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you

carang is offline Registered User
    don't think you have much choice in the matter.... baby must have a passport to travel

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    From experience, it took me about 6-7 weeks to get an Australian passport for my baby when she was born. Some things can be rushed, but I don't know if you'd be able to do it all within less than 4, even that is probably tight...

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Is your baby eligible for HK ID card??? HK ID card holder does not required to have visa when entering macau. You can ask HK immigration for further details.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    If you're not a resident of HK, I don't think you can get a HK ID card.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Why don't you contact the Australian Consulate in HK and ask them for advice?

Home - Australian Consulate-General

I expect you will need to get your baby a passport before you can travel. The procedure is:
    - register birth and obtain HK birth certificate
    - apply for Australian citizenship by descent
    - apply for passport

I obtained my kids' passports in about 6 weeks, but was in no real rush. If you explain your circumstances to the Consulate they may be able to push things through for you.

Good luck!

Michelle2009 is offline Registered User
    My husband also works in Macau and one of his Australian colleague's wife had both their children at the Matilda in HK. There is some sort of expedited procedure (I think) for the obtaining of the passport as they were able to take the babies home to Macau on each occasion by the time they were discharged from hospital or shortly thereafter. Like tstmum, I would call the consulate and check with them. If I find out more info, I will PM you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Michelle2009; 02-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.

csj
    csj is offline Registered User
    You may also need to get the birth certificate from the HK authorities to show and prove that your baby was born in HK as there will be no stamp on your baby's passport, when you are at the immigration checkpoint.
    We went to Macau last year, 2 month after baby was born and did not bring his birth certificate with us, although we had his passport. They would not let us through immigration without it. So needless to say, we missed the ferry, had to go back home to get the birth certificate. Luckily we live not too far from the ferry pier and could exchange our ferry tickets so it was not much of a delay but if we hadn't already bought tickets to Cirque du Soleil show we would have just gone back home.