Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

My experience at Union Hospital - long

Tini is offline Registered User

My experience at Union Hospital - long

Hi everybody,

I would like to share my birthing experience at Union Hospital with you.

My overall experience is very positive. The hospital is clean, the staff is friendly and you receive good care. I stayed in a twin room, which looks just like a regular hopsital room; nothing special for a private hospital but then again I don't know what public hospitals are like here in HK.

I came to the hospital at 9:30 in the morning and at 11am I was already pushed into the theatre. No waiting time but swift and smooth service. My doctor was great performing the surgery! She was very calm and gentle. My husband stayed with me during surgery till the baby was born. We were able to cuddle him and they took pictures of us three together. When they stitched me up again my husband had to leave tho. When they transported me to my room my husband was allowed to be with me again. The baby was taken to nursery straight after cuddling.

I didn't see my baby for about 24hrs as I couldn't get up, and although I had the room to myself they wouldn't bring me the baby. On admission to hospital I told the nurses that I wanted to exclusively breastfeed and they were very supportive. My pediatrician happened to be a very good one and she supported me in my wish to breastfeed. But as my baby was very small he needed some fluids, so I agreed on glucose via syringe. The day I got up, I started breastfeeding immediately.

Before I was so worried about not being able to see my baby for 1 day and not be able to room-in nor breastfeed right after birth. But now I think it was very nice having had him in nursery. I was able to feed him on demand. The nurses would call me whenever my baby woke up for feeds. The hospital is very supportive of breastfeeding.

Most moms in the nursing room breastfeed but they supplement with formula afterwards, which I don't understand the purpose of. Perhaps because formula is free at the hospital?

The first 1 1/2 days I had the twin room to myself; actually the hospital was very quiet (Easter Monday). I was regularly checked on by the nurses and was given a lot of time to rest. But then I got a room mate, she happened to be from mainland China. Her mom stayed with her the whole time and they weren't really quiet, well the mom wasn't. So I actually stayed in a 3 bed room rather than twin.

After the holidays were over the hospital was pretty busy. And yes, it is true, there were mainly Mainland China moms. I saw probs 2 local moms during my 4 days of stay.

What I didn't like about UH were the visiting hours (7am to 9pm). I was so glad that I was up and recovering well by the time my room-mate checked in otherwise it would have totally freaked me out. I did not approve that her mom was able to stay and sleep in our room. I mean there is a reason why people get a twin room, right?

I hope this report helps some of the moms-to-be.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Congrats again, and thanks for sharing!

I would also be concerned about having noisy roommates... And how come your mate's mother could spend the night there? I thought they only allow that at private rooms???? I would absolute be annoyed too!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Tini, thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Union Hospital is a private hospital isn't it? I am due at the end of the year so trying to figure my plan out. I have to have a c-section as I can't have a normal birth so I was interested to hear your experience and I'm glad that it all went well for you.

Why didn't they let you see your baby for the first 24 hours, is this normal? Also, I looked up their maternity packages and they charge for the husband to be in the delivery room. Is this normal also?

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi Tini,
    Just saw your post. Congratulations! I am happy to hear your have an overall good birthing expereince at the Union.

Mine expereince was similar. About the supplementing with formula, I tried to breastfeed but have them supplement the baby with formula after each try because like all other mothers there, I worried that I don't have enough breastmilk for him.

I think too, that many mothers, especially mainland mothers there, knew that breastmilk is good and they try give it to the baby for as long ( or convinenent ) as they can. ( Many that I know does not want to/feel embarrassed to breastfeed in public. Taking the baby back to Mainland is a long process and way. To avoid feeding in public, baby would have to drink formula).

Anyway, many mothers here may diagree with what I say about the amount of breastmilk and breastfeeding in public. But I am one of those. ( worried baby won't have enough milk and have thin skin). :)

Anyway. About having visitors staying in rooms. Yes, om shared rooms, the Union allowed one female companion to stay with the mother in the room. Yes, be preapred for noisy visitos from your roommates, especially a Mainland one.

If you have a private room, the maternity packages includes the charge for the husband to be in the delivery room. Otherwise, I remembered my friend said it was about 600 hk dollar for it.

Tini is offline Registered User
    Thanks everybody :)

@Liquorice

At UH you cannot room-in with the baby unless you get a private room. Since I had a c-section I wasn't able to get up earlier. If you delivery vaginally, of course you can see your baby as soon as you are physically able. But at the nursery they took very good care.

Yes, you need to pay an extra HK$800 if you want your hubby to stay with you during surgery. That's the negative about private hospitals that they charge you for EVERYTHING.

mariac is offline Registered User
    hi everyone,

I am thinking of delivering at Union Hospital and i'm planning to get a private room. but can any of you recommend any of the doctors there? i heard about dr. Doris Ng, Michele Lee and Angel Suk. do any of these names sound familiar? if not, who were your doctors and would you recommend them? please advise as i have to make my booking in the next couple of days! thanks in advance!