Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dr. Alex Doo vs. Dr. Philip Ho?

lukabella is offline Registered User

Dr. Alex Doo vs. Dr. Philip Ho?

I got to HK late in my pregnancy and have been trying to decide between either Dr. Alex Doo and Dr. Philip Ho. Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks,
    Christine

geomum is offline Registered User
    I went to Dr Philip Ho with my second baby, expect long waiting as with any other doctor in Hong Kong, he is a man of few words and very matter of fact. A few times I found him rushing through the appointment maybe because he had a waiting room full of people. BUT after I had my baby my perspective changed completely towards him. When I was in labour he was by my bedside within minutes, very reassuring through out, got a few stitches which healed within days and he had very good bedside manner held my hand when he spoke to me.
    I think the waiting time is inevitable as Dr Ho was doing rounds in hospitals in the mornings. And perhaps had been occupied with delivering babies as well. So I now understand it completely. Would give him 8/ 10 :)

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I saw Dr Doo for the last 4 months of my 2nd pregnancy and he delivered my baby up at Matilda. I was very happy with him and if I was to have a third baby, I would definitely go back and see him. Like Geomum's experience with Dr Ho, I did find sometimes I was waiting upto 1 hour or so, but this does seem to be standard in HK, especially with Obs who have to run out for deliveries etc. But regardless of whether I waited 1 minute or 1 hour, he still always took his time in the consulation.

Dr Doo does a full scan every visit, which I found re-assuring and interesting each time. I definitely learnt more in this pregnancy with Dr Doo than my in my first pregnancy in Austalia. For this reason though, he is a little more expensive (around $2000 per visit) so insurance cover may be a factor on your decision.

For the delivery, his bedside manner was fantastic. I had a drug free VD which he never tried to steer me otherwise, and he gave me a lot of confidence which I need.

I can't recommend him enough.

If you are unsure, have an appointment with each doctor and then decide. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and delivery.

sea princess is offline Registered User

ho versus doo

Mmm, can only tell you that his Dr.Ho's 'lack of hands on approach' to obstetrics has just resulted in a pretty severe health issue with myself and whilst I found him quite good up until this point, I have now opted for someone who IS AVAILABLE in a medical crisis. I have only heard good things about Dr Doo, but have never seen him myself.
    Good luck

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I saw Dr. Ho for my 20 week scan. He was extremely thorough and talked me through everything he was looking at and measuring. We had a talk before and after the scan and he spent a lot of time answering my questions. I was very happy with him.

He is very busy and there is a wait but so do all the other doctors I have seen before. He also works with Dr. Hon who is a very lovely man and is more "talkative".

I would go with what AussieMum said and get an appointment with both and then decide who is better suited to you. All the best in your pregnancy. Good luck.

macamel is offline Registered User
    I saw Alex Doo throughout my pregnancy and he delivered my baby at the Matilda last year. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

As AussieMum said, he is more expensive, however I believe he is definitely worth it. He is an expert at ultrasound and has a great bedside manner. I had a very long labour which almost resulted in a c-section. I think if I'd had any other Doctor I probably would've ended up having to have a c-section but Dr Doo let me go for as long as possible and I was able to have a natural delivery.

Good luck!

lukabella is offline Registered User
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I have actually seen both doctors! My husband and I thought we decided on Dr. Doo, but when we went to his office in Central this past Saturday it was crawling with people and we waited nearly an hour and a half before we told the receptionist we'd reschedule for another day (as we had appointments to view apartments). This made us re-think our choice. I remember Dr. Ho being a bit of a wait, but his waiting room wasn't as disorganized and hectic as Dr. Doo's. I'm wondering if that was just an exceptional day?

Also, I'm giving birth at Adventist around the time of the big doctor's convention in Italy. This coupled with Dr. Doo's commitments to Matilda make me wonder whether Dr. Ho is the safer bet. I didn't want to go with Dr. Doo and then have him unable to be there for the delivery, but I was very impressed with both doctors (slightly more with Dr. Doo). Don't know what to do!
    Last edited by lukabella; 05-25-2010 at 10:16 AM.

mela is offline Registered User
    I think it happens wit all the popular doctors - sometimes i was seen within 5 min other times if they called for delivery there is a longer wait.Don't know when your due date is but it's always wotrh checking when their planned holidays are . Dr Doo was my OB and he was very very good. I don't know much about dr Ho so can't comment on that but I'm sure he is just as skiled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast