Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Reducing Infant Mortality

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Reducing Infant Mortality

Covers a lot of important issues. Especially important if you're thinking of elective c-sections and interventions (induction etc.).

thanka2 is offline Registered User

"We intervene every step of the way--pregnancy, birth, bonding, breastfeeding--we step in and intervene and there are long-term consequences to that."
    Monica Matos, Birth Educator
    (on video-4:04)

"The interventions are not just benign. They do damage. Most maternity practices that are commonly used in the hospital were never designed to be used at the frequency we're seeing them be used now and none of the evidence supports this. A vast body of literature does not support the use of labor induction, epidural anesthesia, for instance or caesarean section at the rates we see it currently being used."
    (on video-4:17)

"We've become a little bit cavalier in how long to carry the pregnancy. People are a little less likely to say, 'Well, let's just wait until its the right time.' Now it's for convenience and for us, not for just the baby's sake."
    Bryan Oshiro, MD
    (on video-5:10)

"If you do an elective caesarean you try to do it near the end of the pregnancy, what we call 'term.' You try to estimate how far along the pregnancy is. They are thinking that a lot of these babies are done when they're not done and they do the elective caesarean and they end up with a baby who is several weeks premature."
    Marsdsen Wagner (Former Director of Women and Children's Health, WHO)
    (on video-5:54)

"It is estimated for every week that a baby is born before term that they double their risk of having problems such as having respiratory problems, feeding problems, temperature instability, sugar instability, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems."
    Raylene Phillips, MD, MA, IBCLC (Neonatal Fellow, LLU Children's Hospital)
    (on video-6:20)

"We're playing roulette and most of the time we find an empty chamber when we pull the trigger at 36 or 37 weeks but sometimes we don't and we end up with a baby who doesn't do as well and gets into problems. What could have proceeded naturally, in order to get my vacation in on time or back to work now becomes something that threatens the life of my baby or at least his health."
    Bruce Smith, MD, MPH (San Bernadino Department of Public Health)

(on video-6:35)

"When you're having a baby, there's nothing really wrong with you. You're not ill. In all the experiences you have in your lifetime, having a child is one the most miraculous and amazing times and I am so saddened by the amount of fear and trepidation and concern and worry that surrounds that event."

-Jennie Joseph, LM, CPM
    (on video- 13:29)

"Care that's impersonal and mechanized and focused solely on a risk-based model really tells a woman that the process is faulty, that she's just a number in the process and doesn't promote her participation in her own healthcare. I think that's where midwifery can really be a positive benefit." d

-Anita Trudell, CNM, MSN (Midwifery, UCLA Medical Center)
    (on video-13:48)

"We've gone so far off course in our prenatal care and in our public policy messages that most women don't think they can deliver a baby without technology-driven interventions and we know certainly that is just not true."
    Geeta Maker-Clark, MD

(on video-14:10)

Last edited by thanka2; 12-05-2010 at 01:46 AM.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

If you would like to read an excelent book on this topic I recommend,
    Impact of Birthing Practices on Breastfeeing by Linda J. Smith
    (To be truthful the book is about how interventions in our birth affect the next stage of reproduction - but then that is my area of knowlegde!)
    Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

AmyH is offline Registered User

I have had two pregnancies, two births and two healthy children, both births involving intervention and I am thankful every day for these.

During my pregnancy with my son, I suffered a lot of issues includng major bleeding at 11 weeks, severe vomitng which led to hosptalisation four times, water inections which eventually led to my waters breaking at 26 weeks +5 days. The doctors at the hospital intervened and managed to stop the labour, which gave my son an extra week in the womb and this extra time was priceless at that gestation. When my son was born at 27 weeks + 5 days they intervened again, putting him on a ventilator, giving him blood transfusions when his body was weak and frail. they saved his life on many accasions during the 8 weeks he was in the NICU and I am so grateful for this intervention as I have a six year old healthy son at the end who does not have any long term health issues as a result of his prematurity.

Wth the birth of my daughter I was induced at 41 weeks. The induction failed, the chord was wrapped around her neck a couple of times and every contraction I was havng was distressing her so the doctors intervened in the end and performed an emergency c-section, which I agreed to as it was in the best interest of my daughter at the time.

I think that not all intervention is a bad thing, mothers should be aware of complcations that can arise durng pregnancy and ask questions of doctors who are trying to intervene to ensure the right thing is beng done and for the right reasons but I am a firm belever that some interventions are necessary and because of these interventions I now have two beautiful children who I adore.

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

I dont think it's a question of being pro-intervention or anti-intervention.Both mother and infant mortality during child birth is very high in third world and developing countries. There is a lot of work being done to reduce this - and access to "intervention" can prevent many of these cases.

Some cultures have probably reached the other end of spectrum with too much intervention. Intervene-if-required would probably be a better option. That said I have found the idea of elective c-section for non medical reasons (work / holiday / good date) quite redicilous.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I do think that it's a trend these days that people want to schedule the baby into THEIR schedule and they have the baby induced or have a C section at about 38 weeks. But the problem is, even though 38 weeks is considered full term, a baby born at 38 weeks is often not as healthy as they could have been if they "cooked" for another 2-3 weeks. I personally know kids who were born early by induction or C-section who have respiratory problems and other health problems which COULD have been as a result of them being a little underdeveloped. (not necessarily definite, but there is a correlation for sure...)

I didn't watch the video, I did read the quotes though. And I do think it raises a good point about that issue. And while I don't think that all intervention is bad, I do think that CHOOSING for a baby to come two or three or even sometimes four weeks early COULD have long term consequences on their health. (it may be perfectly fine, but you never know. And why risk it?)

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I think most of the elective c sections are scheduled to be performed at around week 38 because after that the probability of starting normal labor is much higher.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

38 weeks is actually not considered to be pre-term.

My waters started breaking at 38 weeks. I went to the hospital and immediately they had me lie down. Long story short, I was well aware of possible interventions that could happen during labour. I had all of them and saw my labour spiraling out of my control. It was rather dehumanizing. At one point I had 6 different wires/tubes coming from various areas. In the end, I had a c-section, as my boy just wasn't doing so well with the contractions, seemed to be stuck despite attempts to 'dislodge' him, and my cervix wasn't dilating well, even with oxytocin. My son was pulled out of me screaming and red, and scored perfect on his APGARs, and had no medical issue whatsoever. We did have a hard time breastfeeding for a long time, and to this day I blame it on him being taken away from me for 6 hours and then given formula without my permission.

Because of various reasons I have posted on different threads here, I may request an elective c-section in the public hospital, in which case I would accept it no earlier than 14 days before my due date. Ideally I would like to wait until I go into labour naturally, but I'm still not sure I can trust the public system enough for that.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast