Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Having given birth in HK, did you feel "safe, protected and unobserved" in labor?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Safe, Protected and Unobserved

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Safe, Protected and Unobserved

My question is:

-Do women giving birth in Hong feel safe, protected and unobserved during the birth process?

"There is a great body of wisdom and research which tells us that a woman should feel safe, protected and unobserved during the birth process in order for her body to open, relax and allow birth to proceed. Not unlike an animal in the wild whose birth process can only occur in the absence of significant threats, such as the real or suspected presence of a predator, a woman’s emotional sense of well-being impacts the physical process of birth. Broken down into hormonal fluctuations and fight or flight responses: when a woman’s sense of calm, comfort and safety are compromised—so is the birth process, itself. Catecholamine production plummets. Fetal ejection reflexes halt."

from here.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    deleted post
    Last edited by AmyH; 12-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Without a doubt! In fact, I felt that my birth experience in HK was far more positive than in Sydney. If I had to do it again, I will definitely be doing it here in HK. This is from a natural birth experience at the Matilda though.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I felt safe and protected KNOWING that I WAS observed !

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    Without a doubt! In fact, I felt that my birth experience in HK was far more positive than in Sydney. If I had to do it again, I will definitely be doing it here in HK. This is from a natural birth experience at the Matilda though.
    I think that giving birth at Matilda probably has a big influence on that. I have a close friend who has given birth to two children there and another friend who has also given birth to two children there and from my understanding they follow a less invasive model--more midwife, doula and woman centered-model than most of the other hospitals in HK. But, also since people pay a pretty penny to give birth there it really is the customer is always right--so if you want even an elective c-section on a specific date they oblige as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jane01 View Post
    I felt safe and protected KNOWING that I WAS observed !
    I think that "unobserved" means that you're not on display. This means that there are of course medical personnel on hand and nearby to help in case of an emergency but you're not "up on a stage" with people (interns, the cleaning lady...whoever the hospital deems okay) wandering in and out inspecting you like a piece of meat.

Where I gave birth, I was in a hospital with top-notch midwives, nurses and doctors right there but the lights were dimmed and we were allowed our privacy and peace and the personnel kept a respectful distance and only intervened to help--not to try to run the show. They let the birth take place naturally.

To take another example from nature--anyone who has ever been around farm animals or even had a dog or cat give birth to a litter in their home, knows that when animals are in labor they don't plop down in the middle of a fluorescently-lit room and say, "Please come stare at me and poke and prod me during the entirety of my labor." Instead, you'll always find them in a closet somewhere where it's dark, and calm and safe--going about their business. Not that we're animals but I think we can learn a lot from nature.

That's my take on "unobserved."