Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

teacher opinions and suggestions for taking PGDE courses?

solidstars is offline Registered User

teacher opinions and suggestions for taking PGDE courses?

I think there are a few teachers/moms on here so I thought to ask for some tips/advice.

I'm looking into taking the PDGE course in the coming year.

I don't understand why the fee discrepancies varies so much? At HKU the entire course costs HK$119,000, HKBU charges HK$63,000,

Full-time PGDE Programmes at HKIED costs HK$42,100 per annum.

Why are the prices so different? Also, I contacted the HKIED regarding their part time programme (as I can't afford to do it full time and not work at all) but they only accept applications from current teachers. How should I go about changing my career if I can't take the PDGE part time? I currently work in copywriting...

I would love any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    That sounds about right. Local PGDE programmes undertaken part-time are usually done so by current untrained teachers who are already hired as a CM in the local school system. The HKU PGDE programme is the most sought after - not necessarily the best (based on my local colleagues thoughts on the matter). HKIED is at the bottom of the rung of PGDE programmes.

At work, the top programme is the HKU, followed by CUHK then the other universities and lastly HKIED. Hiring is also based on this (I work for a 'snooty' school when it comes to qualifications). I've been part of the hiring process of local teachers and am astounded by this. They would actually consider as a part of the hiring process! In my experience, as far as dealing with local teachers, the HKU graduates are best (in terms of language proficiency = English), also some great linguists are based there (if Applied Linguistics/Language Teaching is your major) but the teaching course itself it very theoretical. Most foreigners I know would complete the HKU programme. As far as learning is concerned, they tell me that CUHK has the most practical programme. The rest I have not heard a lot about but I do know that it's easy work (all including CUHK except HKU) = assignments can be completed between teaching classes sort. I see my colleagues do this all the time! Something to think about as a busy mum.

Personally, I'd go with HKU. Just for university recognition convenience sake as it is in the world ranking. And, all my gweilo friends who are not trained teachers have completed their teaching credentials there (unless they've chosen one from their home country via distance ed.)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by TheQuasimother; 12-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    That sounds about right. Local PGDE programmes undertaken part-time are usually done so by current untrained teachers who are already hired as a CM in the local school system. The HKU PGDE programme is the most sought after - not necessarily the best (based on my local colleagues thoughts on the matter). HKIED is at the bottom of the rung of PGDE programmes.
    Thanks for your detailed and prompt response! What do you (or your colleagues) think about the HKBU programme?

I have heard the HKU one is quite prestigious, not sure I can afford it myself, and HKU is much further from home and thus more time spent away from baby!

Tried to look at the CUHK website but everything was in Chinese, I have emailed them to ask if they have an English PDGE programme...

After reading your thoughts, I guess I am leaning more towards the HKBU one... The problem I have is that I cannot afford to do it full time, but it seems all the PGDE part time courses are for current teachers! Stuck in a rut now...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I enrolled in PGDE at HKU - my one complaint is that you need to enroll AND pay the deposit so far in advance. I had to pay the deposit in January, then I found out I was pregnant with my first born a week or two later!! I was able to defer, but the following year, my major was not offered. The NEXT year I was pregnant with my second, and now that she has been born with a disability, I don't think that I will be able to study full time because I will need to be available to take her to numerous doctors appointments and therapy etc... Of course the deposit is non refundable. I think that's standard practice over here though - to have to pay such a large deposit so far in advance. In Australia, you don't need to do that. In fact, I still haven't paid for any of my tuition fees!! But I have a big debt for them of course...

I personally would prefer to do a distance education course through an Australian university, particularly since HKU is soooo inflexible. I've considered enrolling in Charles Sturt University's program. I've done distance education with them before and they are well known for their distance education programs. I had a great experience with them. I may still get my PGDE one of these days - who knows? Life takes funny turns ;)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i did the PGDE at HKBU but full time and just graduated...it was in Early Childhood Education and that is under the School of Continuing Education (SCE) and NOT the HKBU itself...sounds contradictory but the HKBU itself does not have an ECE programme. This for me is where the core of the program lies - the lectures of the program are 50/50..the ones that are hired by HKBU are good, the ones that are hired by SCE are questionable (they are normally on part time basis). I also did a PGDE at HKU (English Language Ed back in 1999)...and the main difference I found between the two is that HKU was more theory based but in general the teachers were professor grade (worst one I had was a tenured professor who was really quite old and lazy)....anyhow, that WAS over 10 years ago though...so I'm sure things will have changed.

If you do choose the HKBU one, one thing I would encourage you to do is to make a name for yourself from the beginning with the program assistant....so that they know there is a "trouble maker" and will be more on top of things. I had a friend that was like that - she's great, but questioned EVERYTHING about the program...it helped us all! :)

Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post

If you do choose the HKBU one, one thing I would encourage you to do is to make a name for yourself from the beginning with the program assistant....so that they know there is a "trouble maker" and will be more on top of things. I had a friend that was like that - she's great, but questioned EVERYTHING about the program...it helped us all! :)

I think I know which one you mean. The HKBU ECE one is in English whereas in the normal PGDE you need to know Chinese... I think.

Can you explain what you mean by 'make a name for yourself...', not sure exactly what you mean? How will questioning everything help the entire programme's applicants?

Nicolejoy, I did look into some distance learning courses but have personally concluded that I need the practical / hands-on bits that a local course can offer!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    actually what I meant was that the quality of lecturers for HKBU is 50/50...all the programmes (I believe) are run in English (except perhaps the ones at IVE) the ones hired by HKBU and teaching the PGDE are good, the ones hired by the SCE are not as good in comparison - they are part time staff, many with lots of personal experience in what they teach, but they do not necessarily know how to teach.

"making a name for yourself" - well, everyone knew my friend by the end...they knew she would question just about everything, so they were really on top of things - like organizing visits to schools / ensuring students knew of classroom schedule or room changes quickly, etc. things will go more smoothly...if not, you will have to work very hard to ask, ask, and ask and perhaps get no answer or a delayed answer.

the one good thing about HKBU program (not so sure about what other programmes do) but there are about 6 school visit throughout the year...you get to visit a special school, kindergartens, a primary school, a couple schools in shenzhen, A PRE-SCHOOL, etc,

Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    actually what I meant was that the quality of lecturers for HKBU is 50/50...all the programmes (I believe) are run in English (except perhaps the ones at IVE) the ones hired by HKBU and teaching the PGDE are good, the ones hired by the SCE are not as good in comparison - they are part time staff, many with lots of personal experience in what they teach, but they do not necessarily know how to teach.

"making a name for yourself" - well, everyone knew my friend by the end...they knew she would question just about everything, so they were really on top of things - like organizing visits to schools / ensuring students knew of classroom schedule or room changes quickly, etc. things will go more smoothly...if not, you will have to work very hard to ask, ask, and ask and perhaps get no answer or a delayed answer.

the one good thing about HKBU program (not so sure about what other programmes do) but there are about 6 school visit throughout the year...you get to visit a special school, kindergartens, a primary school, a couple schools in shenzhen, A PRE-SCHOOL, etc,
    thanks! that sounds great, i hope i get in the part time programme... and that it offers as many visits as you mentioned!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast