Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

United Christian Hospital - feedback

charade is offline Registered User

United Christian Hospital - feedback

Just wanted to share my experience of giving birth at United Christian since there aren't any recent threads.

My antenatal appointments were at the MCH in Hang Hau. Although I was often the only foreigner there, the nurses, midwives and definitely the doctors always spoke English. There's generally a lot of women on the appt day but i found that at my private doctor I'd also end up waiting quite a bit. Because I had some complications, they transferred me for consultations at Tseung Kwan O Hospital, which I preferred. I feel the doctors there are slightly more experienced. Unfortunately, or I guess fortunately, towards the end of my pregnancy I was deemed low-risk again and tranferred back to the MCH. In terms of seeing a different doctor every time, I didn't find that a problem. I would review my history with them each time and I they always listened.

I had a trial run of United Christian Hospital because my mucus plug came off early and I was admitted for a day. When you go into the labour ward on the 2nd floor, they hook you up to this monitor to check contractions and the baby's heartbeat etc. before deciding whether to admit you. The antenal ward is on the fourth floor. There are six beds in each section with curtains that can be drawn. However, the nurses are quite anal about drawing and opening the curtains even around the individual beds, as well as the window curtains… and they also keep the TV on at odd hours. However, the TV didn’t bother me so much because I was so tired that I just conked out. They have nurses checking the baby’s heartbeat and the blood pressure of the mum’s regularly and a doctor does rounds in the morning.

There are shared loos and they are fairly clean but the hygiene of the other women left something to be desired. Quite often there was pee on the seat and I was a bit worried about getting an infection. The showers are ok too also. They don’t look much but they work fine.
    The food is ok – Chinese style, but I liked it. Rice, a chicken gravy, boiled vegetable and soup. Congee for breakfast.

Now, the actual delivery. Once it is deemed you’re in active labour, they wheel you to the delivery suite on 2nd floor. I called my husband and asked him to meet me there. I was worried they wuldn’t let him in, but they did and he was there throughout active labour.
    The positives:
    1. The equipment and quality of care etc is good.
    2. The cost - $400 for the entire stay
    3. In case there’s a problem with the baby, the public hospitals are the only ones with neonatal icus.
    4. The nurses and midwives are great
    5. They are very pro-breastfeeding. They will come and help you breastfeed. Before my milk came in, my baby seemed very hungry and although they fed him formula, always with my consent, they used cup-feeding method. I have seen the nurses cup-feeding the babies so I;m sure they don’t bottle-feed as a shortcut.
    The negatives:
    1. The doctor-on-call was horrible. Very young, with a patronising. Her cervical exams were torture… the first time she just shoved her hand up me without warning, without even introducing herself and then began scolding me for not relaxing. Fortunately I saw her only thrice through the entire process – sadly all involved cervical exams – and the entire delivery was handled by the midwives who were great.
    2. At some point, the pain got too much and I started begging for an epidural. However, it was not given to me and this is one reason I would consider going private if there ever is a next time.
    3. Visiting hours are just two hours a day which is fine because after delivery, having visitors is a pain. But it would have helped immensely if one person was allowed to stay with me round the clock. When my baby was wailing constantly and chewing on my nipples for two hours at a stretch, it would have really helped to have one person take him and try to put him to sleep. The nurses do come and take the baby away but only after two hours. I was stressed and exhausted by the time I left.

That's all I can think of... hope someone finds this helpful.

Overall, given the cost, I think it was a positive experience but because of the doctor (I hope there's a different one on call for those of you who are delivering there soon) and the lack of epidural option, I'm conflicted about whether I would repeat the public experience.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I had all my antenatal appointment at TKO hospital. They never sent me to any MCHC and I didn't know I could have the appointment there until I took my baby there. I wouldn't make much difference for me as the TKOH is just in front of the MCHC in Hang Hau.

About the epidural, I attended the antenatal classes at UCH, and they said that they would provide the epidural if requested. But I think you have to request it in advance, and not at anytime during the labour when you feel you cannot bear the pain.
    Posted via Mobile Device

charade is offline Registered User
    Hmmm my understanding was that you cannot request in advance. But maybe it was a communication issue.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

More United Christian Hsopital feedback

I had a trial run at UCH as well as I was experiencing abdominal pains on my 18th week of pregnancy and was advised to go the emergency room at TKO but was taken via ambulance to UCH since they didn't have the facilities. Overall, I was a bit traumatised by the whole experience and I'm also re-evaluating my options for delivery as I don't want to go back there.

Let me put a disclaimer first:

1) We just arrived 4 weeks ago from Australia so we were very new to the country. We just literally moved in to our new apartment that very same morning and I was admitted to the hospital that night.
    2) I wasn't expecting to stay at any hospital overnight so I wasn't mentally prepared for it. Also I didn't have anything with me except my purse and the clothes I wore to the restaurant that same evening.
    3) While there was always an English speaking staff there, I sometimes had difficulty understanding them behind their surgical masks and at certain times, their accent.

MEDICAL PROCEDURES
    As far as the medical procedures and their thoroughness, they are fine. I had a ultrasound, urine & blood test and a fetal dopller to check the heartbeat. All the nurses were fine except for one who was a bit physically rough with me while taking my blood as I couldn't understand her English and she pushed and pulled my wrist.

WARD
    Overall, my issue was the ward itself (on 5A Gynae section). In general, I'm not too keen on sharing a room with 6 others including a woman who snored like a train. Our ward was beside the toilets so you could hear EVERYTHING going on in the cubicles. Yes, Geo mums, every spit on the sink, toilet flush and other personal stuff you can hear. The throat clearing in the morning put me off my macaroni soup. Unfortunately, that night, there was also woman in the next ward who was so unwell, she was wretching almost every hour. While it certainly kept me up too, I felt sorry for the woman who couldn't find any relief or rest. As Charade said, they are anal about drawing the the curtains and the little bit of privacy that I could get by drawing the curtains all the way was taken away as they drew it back. In the morning, every nurse had a preference so they drew the curtains back and forth, in every which way.

DISCHARGE
    Waiting for the discharge was agony as I couldn't wait to leave since they told me all was fine and all results were good so they took away my papers for processing. I was already pacing up and down the halls waiting to be released and I was told to wait to go back to my ward, sit on the bedside and wait there. It was a bit depressing sitting there with all the other patients were lying in bed, staring at the walls and ceiling, all sad and forlorn.

In the end I am thankful that they didn't find anything wrong although I pressed them to tell me what could be the possible cause of my abdominal pain so I know what to prevent or do next time. They were a bit perplexed that I bothered to ask. The head nurse reassured with a smile and a gentle touch that "sometimes there's just no reason or cause". I didn't settle for that explanation so they sent for the doctor. She said the same thing and I left it at that.

OVERALL
    As this is the nearest hospital to where I live, I am carefully re-evaluating my options to deliver birth (see thread) As my husband said, maybe this whole experience is a blessing in disguise as it made me shift my expectations dramatically. I feel teh same way as Charade. At the moment, I wouldn't go to UCH but if ever I do end up at UCH. I know what to expect now. It is a public hospital after all and at $100 a night in the end, you do get the care that you need, just without the frills.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    From my understanding, part of the reason they don't want people to draw the curtains, specially at night, is because they want to have a clear view of what is going on on the ward. If your bed is up front, and you draw the curtain, the nurse would not be able to see the beds that are behind yours.
    Posted via Mobile Device