Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St-Paul's hospital, anyone?

missidealiste is offline Registered User

St-Paul's hospital, anyone?

Hullo! Im new to this forum and Im thankful to have find this as Im quite new to HK hospital system! Im thankful that there are so many mommies that willing to share their experience here!

im quite early stage of my pregnancy. please tell me if im right:

-I need to register in both public and private hospital to play safe (?)
    -Is it common to have antenatal check-up done at public maternity clinic and request to keep copy of test record ?

Have anyone had delivery experience with St-Paul's hospital? How was the service? The cost? It so happened that I had a Gynecological complication before and attended there. The experience was good. But im not sure If i could trust them for my first baby. Im curious as most people talk about Maltida and Canossa in this forum.

My husband would like me to go private all the way. But since I dont have medical insurance coverage and has been out of work for quite sometime. Im considering Queen Mary or Pamela Youde.

Thanks ahead for your insight!! xx

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Hi missidealiste...welcome to the forum and congrats on the pregnancy! my cousin delivered her first baby at st. paul's hospital in october of last year. she had a very positive experience there overall according to her and her husband, although i don't really know the particulars of her stay. i do know that she was induced a few weeks early due to the onset of pre-eclampsia and her baby had to stay in NICU for several days. she said the nurses there were extremely helpful during that stressful time.

i don't think you need to register at both public and private as long as you have a confirmed booking at either one. sorry i can't be of more help!

Thx u

Thank you so much for reply! It seem st-Paul is not a popular chic. But I'm glad to hear positive feedback thank u!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    If you want to deliver private, book your place now, since beds are not guaranteed there and they go really fast.
    I wouldn't worry too much about booking a public space early, because government hospitals are basically obliged to serve you if you are a HKID holder.
    I wouldn't worry too much about what's popular or chic. Actually, some of the more popular ones are the most overcrowded, especially with Chinese "maternity tourists."
    If you're worried about cost, don't go to Matilda. Yes, many people talk about it, because it offers what has been called 5-star hotel service and is popular among rich expats. But it is the most expensive in town.
    I personally got a good feeling from Canossa when I toured its maternity ward. It's a bit older, but the nurses seemed sweet, it wasn't overly crowded, and the rooms were big and sunny. It's too bad it was too late for me to book there. (I think they're all full till October 2011).
    As for St-Paul's, I had a relative deliver there, and she was fine. Not sure about the details of her experience, though.

Tartan is offline Registered User
    Hi there, i've just replied to a similar thread elsewhere. I had my first baby 2 years ago at St Pauls. Whilst the delivery room and delivery itself great, I found the post natal care poor. This was partially because I don't speak Cantonese and I don't think they are very geared up towards non locals. I wasn't given much support with breastfeeding and how to look after the baby in general! This is compared to friends who had fantastic experiences at Matilda/Adventist/Queen Mary. Given St Pauls is no cheaper than any of the others, I personally would recommend you go elsewhere if you can....

Thank you for all your insight!! **** ****

Readytobemummy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Hi there, i've just replied to a similar thread elsewhere. I had my first baby 2 years ago at St Pauls. Whilst the delivery room and delivery itself great, I found the post natal care poor. This was partially because I don't speak Cantonese and I don't think they are very geared up towards non locals. I wasn't given much support with breastfeeding and how to look after the baby in general! This is compared to friends who had fantastic experiences at Matilda/Adventist/Queen Mary. Given St Pauls is no cheaper than any of the others, I personally would recommend you go elsewhere if you can....
    HI Tartan
    Can I Check with your which Doctor your were deliver your baby? and how much total cost ?

Tartan is offline Registered User
    It was Dr Poddar about 2 years ago. Can't remember exact cost but he's affiliated to Ot&P in Central so you can call there to confirm current fees. He recently delivered my friend's baby and I think he's similar price to all the usual suspects... I'm pregnant again and have decided to go with Dr Ghosh at Matilda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast