Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I found my daughter's picture at my home on the web!!! What shall I do??

HappyNatali is offline Registered User

I found my daughter's picture at my home on the web!!! What shall I do??

I was browsing my helper's facebook photo album which was public and was appalled to find my baby's (and my cat's) pictures taken at my house. I was very shocked and unhappy because she posted it at public (ie everyone can see) and I had absolutely no knowledge of it and had never given consent to it.

I think it is my responsibility to protect my babies' privacy and I'm very upset.

Does anybody know if what my helper did was against HK law (since it's taken at private premises and without my consent)? And what shall I do now?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Have a chat with her, let her know you are unhappy about it and then ask her to remove it.
    Remind her not to do it again.

I doubt this would violate any law in Hong Kong or anywhere else in the world.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    unfortunately i don't think that breaks any laws. i would just sit down with your helper and tell her you are uncomfortable about her posting your kids pictures on the web....even if it WERE "private". that happened with my sis when her friend posted her picture on the web (facebook too) and it looked like she was naked (but she was actually wearing a bikini that was covered up by the baby she was carrying in her hands)...i'm sure she would understand and it was an honest mistake.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    You can report the photo on Facebook by saying that it infringes on copyright. But, before you do that you need to talk to your helper about it--good communication is always the first place you should look. She may not have the same view on things as you do--and probably didn't intentionally do that to upset you. Not everyone sees privacy in the same way. Try to make a friend, instead of an enemy in this situation.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

jvn is offline Registered User
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    What Thanka2 said, have a chat with her. I know you're angry but don't go in all guns blazing, she probably posted them 'cos she's proud of her job and her little charge. Many people don't understand about privacy and facebook so I think you just need to have a friendly chat and explain how public they are and that you want her to take down the photos and not post any more. Very much doubt it's illegal but really you don't need to go there in the first instance as it could easily be an honest mistake/lack of thought or knowledge.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Totally agree with jvn and thanka2, it is probably ignorance about privacy and the risk of these social networking sites. If she has been a good employee, the pictures probably reflect as jvn pointed out how proud she is of her charge, and her happiness with her life (you wouldn't take pics and post them of people or situations you hate unless it came with a ansty comment) a chat, pictures removed and no further harm. Don't talk to her when you are fired up, give yourself a few days, talk about it with hubby, family for a different perspective then chat to her.
    I think, I hope you will find it was an honest mistake.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    HK Island
    I don't blame you for feeling upset and alarmed. As everyone else has pointed out, I doubt very much that your helper would have posted the photos if she had known how you feel about such things. Take the time to explain your reasons behind why you don't want photos of your children and home posted on the Internet.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Agree with everyone else, have a chat with your helper and tell her not to do it again. Be calm and matter of fact about it. Your helper probably does not realize that there are all kinds of predators out there, online. Believe me, I also have to warn my PARENTS not to widely circulate my daughter's photos by mass email to all their alumni friends. My parents are totally clueless about phishing, spam mail, chain letters, viruses, and online safety and privacy.

A similar thing happened to me with my helper, only the photo was not posted online. My helper took a photo of my toddler right after my toddler had had her bath and was running around the house completely naked. My helper printed the photo and gave me a copy, I was totally taken aback and asked her who else had seen it. She said she had sent the photo to her husband in Indonesia!! I was mortified! I explained to her why I was not happy about my toddler's naked photos circulating, she said it was only for her family, but I insisted and I think she understood.

My helper has taken many photos on her phone camera of my daughter right from the the time she was a tiny baby, and shared them with her friends and family. I know she is proud of her charge and is often comparing notes with other helpers. The naked photo was the first one I had come across, I tried not to freak out about it. I know she meant no harm. I haven't seen any more naked photos of my daughter and I really hope there are no more floating out there!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast