Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's better in DB: Live near Ferry Pier or Siena Club/North Plaza?

SarahHK is offline Registered User

What's better in DB: Live near Ferry Pier or Siena Club/North Plaza?

I'm wondering what DB residents can share about the pros/cons of living near ferry Pier vs. Siena club outside the obvious that it is very convenient to live by the ferry for commuting and that there are more shops and services?

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay the premium for geography/access when my husband says he doesn't mind a longer commute (to IFC or Exchange Square so walk from ferry in HK) for more space/newer apt/beauty. I typically like to be close to shops/people-watching but I probably will not be working so may have more time to plan a commute within DB and to HK? I don't know those insider things like how frequent and efficient the buses are and if grocery delivery is good, whether there are more playgroups/kindergartens on north side, etc, etc. Any advice?

We are going go look at places in DB on Wednesday along with mid-levels on the opposite end of spectrum. Cannot decide if we want to be in the heart of HK or in DB which is more reminiscent of our California lifestyle now. I appreciated the comparison of DB to Poughkeepsie in a response to a post I wrote earlier asking for moving advice. I can't decide if we want to be somewhere totally different from HK. We've been in Central (near Caine and Upper Albert) for 3 weeks now and I already feel "over" it in the sense I've seen/done it all - is that normal?

carang is offline Registered User
    i lived in db for 6+ years. i lived down near sienna (in the greens) and up in La Vista (on the hill behind the plaza) and in hillgrove village directly behind the plaza.

for us, i preferred either directly behind the plaza or up in la vista (could walk down to the plaza in about 5 minutes, but always got the bus home..... steep hill!)

la vista/la serene are newer, too, thought not quite as new as sienna, so you may want to look at them, too!

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    hi, i'm also curious about the answers as we're considering moving from central area to db. we looked when we first moved to hk and decided to try the "city" life first. but now that we've got a little one on the way we need more room and are considering moving to db.

just in case you don't get enough responses from people here (not sure how many are in db...), there is a db forum, too. you might want to post your question there, too.

ps. we really liked "Create" from century 21 in db if you need an agent. she's been working in db for a long time and is good at understanding what people want quickly and showing you those type of homes.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    We live in the North of DB and it is convenient for the Plaza/ferry. Buses run frequently and its about a 6-8 min bus from Siena Drive to the Plaza. I catch an 8am bus for an 8.15am ferry and I get to the Ferry Pier at about 8.08am. I can catch the next bus at 8.08am and most of the time, I'll have no trouble getting the 8.15am ferry.

There are clubs in Siena and in the Plaza and both have pools so either end of DB is handy to club facilities. We like the pools at Siena more for kids. There is a gym, indoor playroom and tennis courts at the Siena Club.

There are also playgroups at both ends of DB - Montessori and Sunshine House in DB North (and Discovery College for primary and high school although note other posts about availability of places), and DMK Playcentre, Sunshine House, Midget Gems at the Plaza (plus others in between). DBIS is about half way between the two "Plazas" and has a kindergarten, primary and high school (again, places are a premium and long waitlists generally). People seem to like the apartments near the beach as well (5 mins from the Plaza). They would be worth a look too. Not sure about prices but the beach is ok (water a bit dirty - I wouldn't swim there - but sand generally ok) and the playground on the beach is nice. Also have friends in Coastline by the Marina (5 mins on the bus from the Plaza) and it is very pretty looking out over the sea and boats plus sea breezes (and Coastline is near DMK kindergarten which is popular).

DB North has its own supermarket (Wellcome) and a few restaurants now (Indian, pizza and an "everything" restaurant - Roccos). There is a Fusion (Park n Shop) supermarket, lots more restaurants, toy shop, pharmacies, 2 medical centres, vet, sports store and small department store (as well as other shops) at the Plaza. Both supermarkets do free delivery if you spend over a certain amount (not that high an amount).

I'd go with an open mind and look at a couple of apartments all over DB. DB is not that big and the buses are excellent (and there are hire cars - vans - which you can book or flag down to take you anywhere in DB for $15, although they pick up and drop off along the way). So really, either end if convenient to things in the opposite end.

PS totally normal to be "over" Caine Rd - although it took me 5 years to get to that stage!

Jzlyn is offline Registered User
    We've recently moved to DB. We viewed about 15 apartments (Siena, Chianti, Coastline, Capridge, Crestmont and Seabee)over 3 days and decided on Seabee Lane (just behind DB International School). It is a 10 min walk to the plaza or 2 bus stops away (a min on the bus), almost every bus stops right at the top of our street including those going to Tung Chung, Sunny Bay and Airport.

We decided against Siena because there is no other option beyond catching the bus to the Plaza. We like the fact that if we should miss the bus, we can always walk to catch the ferry rather than having to wait. We saw a place within a 3 min walk to Club Siena, though I like Club Siena better than the Residents Club it's not like we are heading there everyday. Oh and Chianti is a bomb site right now, with the construction just right in front of the estate!

One more question to throw in for the DB experts, what's the price for Club Siena and Resident's Club?

mariaindb is offline Registered User
    Club fees just went up a month or so ago. Now $490 per adult if I remember correctly. That only includes the pools! If you want to use anything else (gym, tennis, etc...) you pay extra. And you can't just join for the summer, quit for a while and then rejoin. Not sure of all the ins and outs as we are not members.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast