Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By elmomo

Eye Doctors in HK for Children - my experience and rating on a few

elmomo is offline Registered User

Eye Doctors in HK for Children - my experience and rating on a few

My child was diagnosed with far sightedness recently. We have seen several doctors already and wanted to share my experience -

Dr Charmaine Hon - HKOA - very good with children, good diagnosis with traditional vision exam (mix match using the diff lenses) and pupil dilation, I agreed with her prescription for my child's glasses (about 3.5 dopter less than the diagnosis to start). HKOA also had a good glasses dept, lots of choices and good frames. I like a lady named Kelly there, she is very patient with kids.

Dr Chris Yu - Premier Med - good with children, but I liked Dr Hon better; did NOT do a standard vision exam, and wanted to just dilate the pupils and then subtract 1 to 1.5 diopter from the result for the glasses, said that children can cheat their way on a traditional vision exam (I do not agree I think both methods need to be done).

Dr Agnes Tse - Sanatorium - not good period, seemed calm and experienced due to her age (both Hon and Yu are younger, I feel in early 40s, while Tse is in mid or late 50s i think), but I feel her diagnosis was incorrect - at least it was not the same as the other doctors I have seen - she said far sightedness is equivalent to lazy eyes- they are not the same. and if you asked more questions, she was slightly impatient and was more interested in typing the diagnosis on her computer than talking to us. Which is ironic cuz we are not going back anyway so not sure what she needs the records for. Furthermore, she violated me when she did a checkup on me, put in anesthetic eye drops without telling me first, which triggered an allergic reaction in one of my eyes which was already suffering eye allergies, cuz she wanted to test glaucoma - again she did not tell me or ask me first and just put a blue object against my eye- which explained the need for anesthetic [email protected]#$? I have perfect vision and was simply requesting her for some allergy drops, it's already ridiculous she is putting in a dye in my eles to see if I have allergies (other drs do not need to do that), not to mention anesthesia to check for glaucoma??? Would NOT recommend this person for anyone. (The optometrist who did the traditional vision exam was good though).

Dr Vincent Lee - ex head of eye dept at Adventist, now in Melbourne Plaza - very experienced and good dr, but better for adults, very few kids there that I've seen. He will not do anything that's not necessary to your eyes to make money.... In fact, he charges 1/2 the fees of the above doctors... The only complaint I have tho, is the clinic always has a long wait... like weeks to get an appt, and then once you get there, it's prob another 30-45 min from your appt time. So I don't like to take my child there.

I am sure everyone has different experiences with above doctors, but these are just my recent experiences with the above, thought I'd share.... Bottom line, I'm sticking with Dr C Hon for my child, and Dr V Lee for myself.
    cpy and maggiecxq like this.

vwswb is offline Registered User

Thank you

Thank you so much for your share. I was debating whether I should try Dr Hon or Dr C Yu. I saw another post before about Dr Yu and a few mums recommended him but your description is by far most detailed and I have booked Dr Hon now for my 2.5 yr old DD. finger-crossed it goes well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by elmomo View Post
    My child was diagnosed with far sightedness recently. We have seen several doctors already and wanted to share my experience -

Dr Charmaine Hon - HKOA - very good with children, good diagnosis with traditional vision exam (mix match using the diff lenses) and pupil dilation, I agreed with her prescription for my child's glasses (about 3.5 dopter less than the diagnosis to start). HKOA also had a good glasses dept, lots of choices and good frames. I like a lady named Kelly there, she is very patient with kids.

Dr Chris Yu - Premier Med - good with children, but I liked Dr Hon better; did NOT do a standard vision exam, and wanted to just dilate the pupils and then subtract 1 to 1.5 diopter from the result for the glasses, said that children can cheat their way on a traditional vision exam (I do not agree I think both methods need to be done).

Dr Agnes Tse - Sanatorium - not good period, seemed calm and experienced due to her age (both Hon and Yu are younger, I feel in early 40s, while Tse is in mid or late 50s i think), but I feel her diagnosis was incorrect - at least it was not the same as the other doctors I have seen - she said far sightedness is equivalent to lazy eyes- they are not the same. and if you asked more questions, she was slightly impatient and was more interested in typing the diagnosis on her computer than talking to us. Which is ironic cuz we are not going back anyway so not sure what she needs the records for. Furthermore, she violated me when she did a checkup on me, put in anesthetic eye drops without telling me first, which triggered an allergic reaction in one of my eyes which was already suffering eye allergies, cuz she wanted to test glaucoma - again she did not tell me or ask me first and just put a blue object against my eye- which explained the need for anesthetic [email protected]#$? I have perfect vision and was simply requesting her for some allergy drops, it's already ridiculous she is putting in a dye in my eles to see if I have allergies (other drs do not need to do that), not to mention anesthesia to check for glaucoma??? Would NOT recommend this person for anyone. (The optometrist who did the traditional vision exam was good though).

Dr Vincent Lee - ex head of eye dept at Adventist, now in Melbourne Plaza - very experienced and good dr, but better for adults, very few kids there that I've seen. He will not do anything that's not necessary to your eyes to make money.... In fact, he charges 1/2 the fees of the above doctors... The only complaint I have tho, is the clinic always has a long wait... like weeks to get an appt, and then once you get there, it's prob another 30-45 min from your appt time. So I don't like to take my child there.

I am sure everyone has different experiences with above doctors, but these are just my recent experiences with the above, thought I'd share.... Bottom line, I'm sticking with Dr C Hon for my child, and Dr V Lee for myself.