Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HK hot weather and things to do with baby....

pamiGC is offline Registered User

Cool HK hot weather and things to do with baby....

Hi,

I have a 6 month old son and am a stay at home mum and am really struggling to find things for us to do in the hot weather. I don't want to be in our apartment with him all day long but also don't want to expose him to the stifling heat.

We have pools where we live but he only really wants to go for half an hour or so and some days it seems too hot to take him even after 3pm....not sure if im being too over protective?

I'm trying to think of places to go or things to do but it's tough. Any suggestions welcome from mum's with experience of bringing up their little ones in the heat!

Thanks

pixelelf is offline Registered User

i have a 7 mth old baby and a 3.5 yr old boy. we dun go "special" places but our day seem busy enough. in the am, after breakfast, story time and washup, the 3 of us head to the harbour opp our place. we slap on sun block and insect repellent, and everyone wears sun hat. we play bubbles, catch bugs (we bring a fishing net for this), hide and seek, catching, at a shaded playground.

45 mins later, we head back to our building, stopping by the bread/fruit/stationery shop. we settle back at the clubhouse, sharing our loot with the kids there, if any. we doodle, water the plants (we bring a water spray along), make clay stuff, or just do stickers. then we play some more at the playground which is also shaded. the baby is able to watch and play with her brother. at times, i leave her on the padded ground with her toys to amuse herself.

we get home in an hr's time. baby rolls around the floor, kiddo plays with his toys, mum zonks out. lunch. more washing up and storytime. then it's nap for 3 hours.

we get up, baby rolls on the floor some more, kiddo watches a tv. dinner. we wait for papa to come home, decompress, then swim. baby and i wash up after 30mins of gentle water activity, quiet time, sleep. older kid comes up with papa, wash up, milk and bread, quiet time, sleep.

very routine :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Yeah it's hot these days!! We've been swimming lots! I PERSONALLY think that even on the hottest days, it's not too bad after 3 or 4 - but maybe it's because I'm Australian that I think that? I grew up with days on the beach... I've been taking my girls (2.5 and 11 months) swimming LOTS!!

Apart from that, there are some indoor play rooms such as Playtown. Apparently there are even some free government ones which aren't meant to be too bad - but I haven't tried them...

I bought some coupons for gymnastics classes on groupon and plan to do that with my older girl.

Yeah we try to avoid being outside too much - unless we're in the pool ;) Although sometimes FIRST thing in the morning, or late afternoon (after 5) it's not too bad... but it depends on the weather really...

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Apparently there are even some free government ones which aren't meant to be too bad - but I haven't tried them...
    indoor playrooms : http://www.lcsd.hk/en/ls_fac_playroom.php
    they are nicely airconed and FOC

elle is offline Registered User

The government indoor playrooms are nice - and kept very clean. I do take my 10 month old out on walks, swimming and to outdoor playgrounds (usually early mornings). We swim again most evenings. Some Starbucks and Pacific Coffee shops have small areas for kids with toys, and we go there. She sits and plays with blocks while I have a tea. We also have an informal playgroup with two other little ones a couple times a week and we have enrolled her in a preschool another couple days a week (for an hour each day). Other things we do are walk around malls indoors and markets outdoors, she seems to like the people watching, play with our dogs and go to the beach (again more often early in the morning or the evening). We haven't had any problems with taking her out in the heat, we just load up on sunscreen and a little bug repellant first and go outside, but generally don't stay out too long.

Gracey is offline Registered User

There are always moms and toddlers in our housing complex's pool in the afternoon, mostly Japanese and HK Chinese. Their kids seem fine in the heat.

pamiGC is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for the posts!