Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low birth weight?

Gracey is offline Registered User

Low birth weight?

Except for some first trimester bumps, I've had a normal healthy pregnancy, with normal healthy weight gain.
    My check-ups have shown a baby who is a little on the small side of normal but not alarmingly so.
    Both my family and my husband's family tend to have small, healthy babies that are a bit over 6 lbs (a little under 3 kg)
    I was surprised today when my doc said he was worried that my baby was too small and not growing. I'm 37 weeks and she is 2.3-2.4 kg, or a little over 5 lbs.
    He ran some tests, and put me on a fetal heart monitor. Everything checked out OK. But he says that if the baby looks like it's not getting nutrients, she might have to come out a little early.
    What do I do? Eat more?

Biggie is offline Registered User
    I have similar experience for my first baby. At 37 weeks, doc said baby hasn't grown much from the week before, and I had low amniotic fluid. In case the baby not getting nutrient due to placenta problem we got the baby out early, just over 37 weeks. Baby came out a bit small, but basically ok.
    We were fine with this as we agree with the doctors opinion and baby was breached to plan to hav c section anyway. Plus baby's kick wasnt very obvious or often so I was a bit worry and often nervous when I didn't feel a kick in a few hours. So we thought getting him out early has more benefits than waiting.
    You and your husband should decide with your doctor what is comfortable for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately, what you eat is not going to help increase the babies weight at this stage. As Biggie mentioned it may be due to the placenta not supplying a lot of nutrients. The doctors will monitor you very closely and then if required you will have to have baby early. 37 weeks is very close to full term (I think they class full term as 38weeks, the rest is just adding extra fat) so don't worry about having baby early.

The only thing you can do now is trust your doctor and make sure you are monitored very closely. Also please try not to stress about it, I know easier said than done.

Good luck Gracey, I hope all goes well.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I delivered both of my girls naturally right at 37 weeks, which is considered full term in the states. I guess my body thought that was long enough. Both turned out fine and at a little over 6 lbs. healthy. Trust your doctor and if your LO has to come out now they should be in the clear.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    From about 29 weeks onwards, I was told that my daughter was very small in size (normal length thigh bone but her stomach was a few weeks behind what it should be). The doctors checked my placenta and found that there were no issues with the level of amniotic fluid and blood flow. THe doctor also told me that it really wasn't about eating more for me as long as I was already on a balanced diet and gaining enough weight per week, which was the case. She did mention that rest was very important. I had a toddler at home and also worked full time and was likely not getting enough rest. The last few weeks, I rested much more (not really sleeping more, but definitely putting my foot up on the couch more and just not running around as much) and my baby was born on her due date at 6 pounds! So I would really just trust and follow your doctor's advice and don't worry! Worrying will make you less rested and that is counter productive!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    By the way - My doctor told me that birth size has a lot to do with genetics too. My husband and I were both born below 6 pounds. My son was also born below 6 pounds. I know that a lot of Chinese always think fatter is better but fatter is not always better. As long as the baby is healthy when born, that should be enough!

meimeid is offline Registered User
    Hi Gracey,

My OB told me the same a few weeks ago and I am currently at 37 weeks. At first I was worried sick, but if the baby continuous to grow you shouldn't worry. They will monitor closely. Some baby's are just small, and also there could be a deviation between what they measure and the real weight. Having said that, I do feel my baby very often, so that helps me worry less as well. Getting more rest is of course always a good idea, even if it is only for your own energy level at delivery.
    Good luck with the last few weeks!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone, Thanks for your kind wishes! Baby seems to be fine, but still not putting on much weight over the last 3 check-ups.
    As I'm 38 weeks, doctor advises that she come out soon in case there is a placenta problem. Wish me luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast