Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hotel suggestion in Phuket

whendg is offline Registered User

Hotel suggestion in Phuket

We are planning our first get away from HK with our three-year-old son and have decided on Phuket towards the end of February. Any hotel suggestions? I've seen good reviews for the J.W. Mariott. Anyone have experience there? I am hoping to find a resort with a kids club for my son (age 3) to have fun at for a couple hours each day.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

~wendy~

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Four Seasons, Andara, Indigo Pearl, Banyan Tree, Sheraton, Le Meridien
    We've heard wonderful things about the JW Marriot for kids except for their beach which I've heard is below average so not sure how important that is to you. For us, we are always at the pool more with our kids so beach is secondary. In Phuket, the further from the airport, the better beach.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Heard very good things about JW Marriott but have never been. Suggest you check on Tripadvisor and read reviews to see what's important to you and what is less important.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've been to the JW Marriott twice with kids - to their vacation club and regular hotel. Their vacation club is fantastic with kids, the rooms are larger than my house here in HK!! The pools are great and they do have an ok kids club as well, and they have a little baby elephant that goes around at certain times every day. The hotel rooms are a bit trickier with kids as you can't just close the door on them and then do your own thing in the evenings. But the facilities are exactly the same. The beach is not safe for most of the year - but they do have the turtles come up and lay their eggs at particular times. I've never seen that, but it sounds cool!! One thing about JW Marriott though is that it's very isolated - there is NOTHING else around there (except for turtle village which has a few touristy shops, one restaurant, one ice cream shop and one pub). The last time I went there, we didn't really do anything except for hang around the resort - which suited us fine, but if you want to do a lot of touristy things, there might be better places to stay.

bonita is offline Registered User
    We stayed at a 4-bedroom villa of The Outrigger, one of the seven hotels of the resort community Laguna Phuket. Residential 1 to 4 bedroom villa are available. Ours has private pool. Transportation is available to go between the resorts & you can buy day passes to use the facilities at resorts you're not staying at.

miran is offline Registered User
    We stayed at Marriot a year back and it has all facilities mentioned above. The appartments at vacation club had a full fledged kitchen which made it easy to custom cook for kids as required. But it is very isolated, more than an hour's drive to town and nothing to do / see at all nearby. I personally would not travel all the way to Phuket to stay only at the resort (which is possible more easily at closer to HK and as good or better resorts). The service was very average as well (we had problems with the cab hired, the tour we booked to Phi Phi island among others).

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Miran - In our two trips there, we had fantastic service. The cleaning staff were the same every day and really liked my daughter and made her different "towel animals" every day. They knew her by name within a few days and even wrote us a little letter on our last day there. The cab was fine too (although hiring from the hotel is a bit more expensive), as was the speedboat we chartered for Phi Phi islands (we had a private tour).

miran is offline Registered User
    Aha... then we just were unlucky. It was one of the worst holidays for us - my husband swore off Phuket since. We were three families together, and we were on one of those "free stays" with vacation club members. I dont know if it was a fall out of that. The hotel Marriot (not vacation club) looked really good though.