Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Panicking about move to HK with 14 month old

vicki_viking is offline Registered User

Panicking about move to HK with 14 month old

Hi all,
    Boyfriend and I moving to HK in August with our 14 month old son. We don't have jobs lined up but he is hoping to get something pretty quickly (yes we know about visa situation). WE will have enough money to last several months living cheaply, but I am just panicking about - well everything, are we doing the right thing? (careers going nowhere in UK) taking our boy away from his family etc?

We're selling all our furniture and will just ship personal items, but don't know yet know where we'll be living etc.

REalise my message is pretty vague and all over the place, but has anyone got any advice/suggestions, or has anyone moved recently and can put my mind at rest a little? Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    do you know that you would NOT be eligible for a dependent visa because you are not married? if you are secure in your feeling that hubby will get a job quickly (not as easy as you think it is) then that will confer absolutely no rights on you at all? your child could get a dependent visa upon your boyfriend buy you cannot, which pretty much means you will be living here illegally.

now, if you didn't have a child involved, i would say, sure go ahead. jump in with both feet... but do you want to be kicked out of hk (your tourist visa not renewed) and have your child left in hk? it is a distinct possibility.

as for doing the right thing? we don't know you or anything about your situation, how can we possibly answer that kind of question?

suggestions? with the well-being of a child at stake, no current job prospects, nothing lined up (interview-wise), no proper visas allowing you to live in hk.....

my advice would be: perhaps you should rethink this move. (i know, it wasn't what you were hoping to hear)
    hkexpat2010 and z754103 like this.

As if I would let myself get into the situation where I was going to be kicked out and my partner and child left behind!? Thanks for the (rather negative) advice - we're not idiots, we know we would only arrive on visitor visas unless one of us secure a job before we leave the UK. And yes we know not being married is an issue - we are thinking of getting married to overcome this issue.

We do have job prospects - contacts and invitations to come in for discussions with potential employers - but obviously that can only happen when we get to HK.

We're not going to do anything to put the wellbeing of our child at risk; it's effectively an extended holiday during which time we hope to secure some work with proper visas etc. I was hoping for a little more encouragement from those already living in HK; we know we're taking a risk but we're going nowhere fast here, so thought it would be worth our best efforts!

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry you took my honest advice so poorly. when you ask for advice, it isn't always what you want to hear.

i only sought to ensure that you did have all the right information before you set out. you would be surprised at how many people come on these forums without any clue as to what a move like this involves, which includes sorting out the visa situation.

i came here much as you are doing. i did it 17 years ago, pre-husband, pre-kids. would i do it again now the same way now that i have kids? not on your life.

that is my honest opinion. you don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it. but you asked for advice, so that is what i offered. maybe someone else on here will be more positive in responding, but with the little info you provided, i'm sorry, but i cannot be.

matemate is offline Registered User
    i think cara was spot on. your sellign everything, shipping personal stuff (i.e. shipping not just bringing some stuff along your flight), no home, no work AND a kid? very brave indeed

how much money do you have to live several months? yes of course you can live on lamma island and spend 15k a month (say 8 months, that 10-15k pounds), but realistically you probably need closer to 40-50k pounds to live a decent life in hong kong

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    What we did, about 6 years ago before our kids were born (we were newlyweds at the time) was to come here for a 2 week visit. In that time, my husband had a bunch of interviews lined up. We planned that IF he found a job, we'd go back to Australia, pack up, and move here 1-2 months later. It all worked out, he did find a job and we went back to formally pack up and say goodbye. Could you consider doing something like that? It seems like an awful waste if you don't manage to find work and you have to move back, having already sold all your stuff etc... Obviously it's up to you - but I'd consider doing something like that first, if at all possible...

OO, OK I need to elaborate a LOT - my fault for being so vague to start with. I am a qualified Town Planner, boyfriend is qualified Urban Designer - we know there are jobs available in our professions in HK, but what we're finding is that unless you work for a company that has offices in UK and HK (which neither of us do) then most companies in our lines of work are only interested in hiring if you are already in HK. WE have plenty of invitations to come in to talk to companies once we are in HK. We have both also recently qualified with TEFL for teaching english as a foreign language, which we hope we can use as a back up option if there are no jobs immediately forthcoming in our usual lines of work. We are applying for teaching jobs now - as some of these interview in the UK for work starting later in the year.

We have already moved house twice in the UK in the last two years, for jobs that were then lost due to redundancy due to the shrinking economy etc, we have already got rid of a load of furniture and stuff - we don't have anything of great value anyway, having only been renting (due to unstable job situation here). We have considered boyfriend going to HK for a look-see and me stay behind with child, but it gets too complicated/expensive with 2 x rents plus childcare and flights etc. What have we got to lose? Yes it might all fail hideously, and we end up penniless and back in the UK, but at least we can say we gave it a try right?

OK ladies, still think I am going to be sat with a begging bowl and a crying child cos I have run out of money and can't get home? Thanks for your time

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You've gotta do what you've gotta do. I don't think that anyone is trying to tell you NOT to come, but just trying to help you with the reality of it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast