Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

When to have the 1st check up?

claresaunders is offline Registered User

When to have the 1st check up?

Hi Ladies, i am wondering when is the best time to have the 1st check up with doctor? I've heard 6-8 weeks not too early...
    What to expect in the first check up?
    I have never done pap smear test before and is the check up going to go inside you and will it hurt the baby?

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by claresaunders View Post
    Hi Ladies, i am wondering when is the best time to have the 1st check up with doctor? I've heard 6-8 weeks not too early...
    What to expect in the first check up?
    I have never done pap smear test before and is the check up going to go inside you and will it hurt the baby?
    I went at 6 weeks or earlier for my first (I was very excited) and seven for my second. For the first, I had to have a vaginal ultrasound where a probe is inserted since a pelvic ultrasound wouldn't pick it up. Think I had a pelvic for my second. There is no danger to the baby with the vaginal ultrasound, just some discomfort for you when its inserted. The baby just looks like a blotch but they can confirm a heartbeat and you can listen to it which is pretty sweet.

You can discuss any health concerns you have with your doc and also the all-important-in-HK where to deliver. The main reason people go earlier for this check in HK is so the doc can put their name down for a hospital if they want to deliver at the in-demand ones.

I found registering for updates from babycenter.com to get a sense of what to expect at each stage useful.

Thanks a lot Charade. I am quite excited too but i was told not to go too early as there might be a chance they will hurt the baby. But i am 8 weeks now and my first one is due next week so i can't wait.
    Can you choose if you prefer pelvic ultrasound or viginal ultrasound or they will do both for me as i am doing it for the first time?
    do you hear heartbeat at week 8?

carang is offline Registered User
    heartbeat cannot usually be 'heard' until around week 11-12.

they may try a regular ultrasound first, then if nothing appears, a vaginal ultrasound (same as a pelvic ultrasound).

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by claresaunders View Post
    but i was told not to go too early as there might be a chance they will hurt the baby. But i am 8 weeks now and my first one is due next week so i can't wait.
    Can you choose if you prefer pelvic ultrasound or viginal ultrasound or they will do both for me as i am doing it for the first time?
    Who told you not to go too early as "they", presumably meaning the qualified physician, ,might hurt the baby? In HK I have heard so many silly pregnancy rumors like this. Having an early exam doesn't harm the baby and if there was a significant risk doctors would not perform them. 8 weeks is actually fairly late by HK standards if you intend to deliver in a private hospital as your OB will need to start the booking process for you.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would also strongly suggest you get a couple of good pregnancy books, so you don't listen to "them" any longer and actually arm yourself with some real knowledge.

good luck!
    elle likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    heartbeat cannot usually be 'heard' until around week 11-12.

they may try a regular ultrasound first, then if nothing appears, a vaginal ultrasound (same as a pelvic ultrasound).
    I'm pretty sure I heard the heart beat at 8 weeks. Again, it was a vaginal ultrasound where they insert the probe.

@Clare
    You can of course choose to have or not have any procedure, depending on what you are comfortable with. They suggest inserting the probe if they can't pick up an image by using the machine on your tummy from the outside. However, for my first since I went pretty early, the doc just suggested the probe right away. Again, they would not do it if it would harm the baby.

Thanks a lot guys. As a matter of fact, i wasn't able to find any english pregency books in HK. Any suggestions? I went to the book store they only had chinese books. When i said i 've heard not to go early, it is according to the chinese books i saw in the store...i am very confused...I have my appointment booked next week so i hope it's not too late.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast