Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tsan Yuk registration questions

First timer is offline Registered User

Tsan Yuk registration questions

Hi there

I recently phoned Tsan Yuk hospital as I want to deliver publicly in Queen Mary. The person I spoke to took my personal details and HKID number etc and gave me an appointment at 13 weeks. Unfortunately the person I spoke to was quite difficult to understand, she did have English and I did persist but I really am still unsure on some points.

First of all she listed all the docs I must bring to register but I don't know whether I am to bring these to my first appointment in seven weeks time or whether I should go to the Tsan Yuk hospital now or in advance of my appointment and give them to them. Does anyone know the answer to this? I am going to ring them again and hope I have better luck with the person I speak to but just in case hopefully someone can help me...(I do work with Cantonese speakers and yet I really really couldn't understand this person...)

Secondly, she mentioned I would be having blood tests in June and she repeated the word breakfast a few times. Am I supposed to have breakfast beforehand or not? I don't know!

Finally does anyone know if at this 13week appt I will have my ulstrasound and blood tests on the same day or are these usually on separate days? My GP mentioned I would be back and forth to the Tsan Yuk and seemed to be pushing for me to go private which I can't afford to do as baby is due at Christmas and I can only imagine the bill we would get in that event! Better to save it for college!

If anyone can help with my confusing list of questions, I would be very very grateful!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You can just bring the docs on your first appointment. If you forget some (like I did), it's still ok, you can bring them on your 2nd appointment ;)

For regular blood tests, you can eat breakfast, the only one that you CAN'T is the glucose tolerance test when you are around 30 weeks or so (from memory). You'll get more info about that when it is time for that.

Ultrasounds are always separate appointments, and are only the bare minimum - maybe 1 ultrasound only. Medically, you don't NEED more than that - but if you WANT more, you can always get it done with a private doctor.

No need to go private if you don't have insurance - I agree, I'd rather have the cash in my pocket than to pay for private myself - but you will not get as "fancy" an experience in the public hospital. If you are OK with that, go for it.

There's heaps of info on this forum, you can do a search (top right corner) for most of your questions - but if you are still confused, just post and I'm sure someone will have the answers you're looking for!!

Thank you!

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    Yes, take all the docs along to your appointment, if youre missing anything you can take it bext time...

You can eat breakfast!

At this first appointment you just register and see a midwife and then they take blood for the blood tests. They give you the option of 1st trimester downs syndrome scanning, which consists of a blood test and ultrasound. The cutoff for this testing is 13 weeks and 3 days. On the day I went I was already 13 weeks and 6 days according to my last menstrual period. Because I was so close to/already maybe past the window for this testing they sent me up for a dating ultrasound straight away. They did dating in the ultrasound and found I was 13 weeks and 3 days (i.e. really just in time) and so they went ahead and did the testing. I was really impressed that they went to all this effort to see if the testing could still be done. Was also great to get an "unexpected" ultrasound and see my baby!! Only downside was that I wasn't expecting to have an ultrasound as I thought it would just be a registration so my hubby wasn't with me and missed out on it...

This was about 5 weeks ago so I'm guessing they might do the same for u.

claresaunders is offline Registered User
    I am also due to have my appointment and from memory, you need to bring your passport, HKID, proof of address (to see if you are qualified to deliver there) as well as Doctor letter.
    I wasn't too sure about the breakfast either as i couldn't catch her over the phone or maybe my memory is just getting worse. I recall something she said about breakfast but according to Tracey and Nicole. I believe i am okay to eat breakfast beforehand.
    Sorry i didn't quite get it, does that mean the downs syndrome scanning should be done anytime before the 13 weeks and 3 days? Therefore no issue if you have it done at 11 weeks etc?
    I dont know why the lady booked me in at 11 weeks, is that too early? She did say something about 11 - 12 weeks is what they normally take the booking for 1st appointment...so can someone tell me if downs syndrome scanning is okay to do at week 11 (not too early)?
    How did they do the ultrasound in the public hospital? is that from outside of your belly?
    Thanks a lot....

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    Hi Clare, I don't think they'll do the ultrasound in the same day with you... I think they just rushed me up because I was already so close to the cutoff date. They will probably make an additional appointment for your ultrasound... I think the downs testing is done from 11-13 weeks, but not sure of the exact start date so I might be wrong, they might just do yours... But a friend of mine went at 11 weeks and had to make an appointment for the following week for the ultrasound. The ultrasound is done on the belly... I.e. externally

Thanks for the reply TraceyHat, I just counted I will be 12 weeks 5 days on my first appt so just in time :) I rang the hospital again this afternoon and got someone with slightly better English and so feel more informed now!

mumtobee is offline Registered User
    i had my first antenatal visit today. have been given 2 dates for down syndrome and something else(had same problem understanding) i have to go to PMH on the 15th of may(which makes me exactly 11 weeks on that day) and then again on 24th of may( when i will be 12w3d) now wen exactly is my down syndrome test??? and why is there a second check up!!
    this is my first so actually trying to understand how this works

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast