Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Urgent! Got an offer from French international School.

prelei is offline Registered User

Urgent! Got an offer from French international School.

My child received an offer for primary one. Could anyone share how is quality of teaching staff, amount of homework and examinations, discipline etc?

Is there anything you don't like about FIS. Any info is highly appreciated!!
    Last edited by prelei; 06-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.

carang is offline Registered User
    if you've got a P1 acceptance... TAKE IT! they are hard to come by!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I've seen this kind of thing before and find it quite odd : someone gets a place in a specific school and after they receive the offer they ask questions about it. Do people generally not ask/investigate the school *BEFORE* they put applications in? Weird....

FIS is a fine school. It doesnt have the newest equipment and its not one of the top schools (academic nor facilities wise) but its a well respected school with decent teachers. I would not consider it for my kids as their Mandarin programme is not known to be particularly strong.
    shwetakhanna likes this.

prelei is offline Registered User
    Hi howardcooms,

I sent a private message to you. Please check. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing before and find it quite odd : someone gets a place in a specific school and after they receive the offer they ask questions about it. Do people generally not ask/investigate the school *BEFORE* they put applications in? Weird....

FIS is a fine school. It doesnt have the newest equipment and its not one of the top schools (academic nor facilities wise) but its a well respected school with decent teachers. I would not consider it for my kids as their Mandarin programme is not known to be particularly strong.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Prelei i've sent you a PM

redenae is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I'd like to be honest. French international school isn't the best. The kids in the upper grades aren't the best, they are known to be quite badly taught. However, the school itself is quite hardworking and ends at the later hours compared to most schools. I know for certain as I was once going to apply, my friends had told me all about the 'truth' of FIS. It's not the best, I can reassure you, if you are planning to have your child stay all the way through. The teachers are quite harsh as I've heard, but they teach well if you're extremely hard working. It can demotivate your child due to the people around him/her. If i were you, I'd pick Chinese Intl. or HKIS. But definitely not FIS in my perspective and many others too.

a couple of questions:
    1) how do you judge which is "the best"? doesn't that depend on the child and what is best for the child?
    2) what do you mean the "kids aren't the best"? and that they are badly taught? do you mean that they misbehave? or that they don't score high in exams?
    3) many schools in hk finish "at later hours"... my son goes to school from 7:55am-4:30pm most days.
    4) you "knowing for certain"? you mean you heard from friends who told you what they'd heard or experienced? that's hearsay. you haven't experienced it yourself. the problem with this: what one person finds to be a weakness, another may find to be a strength.
    5) the teachers are harsh? do you mean they are demanding? is that a bad thing?
    6) in the first few lines you say that the kids are badly taught, then at the end you say that the teachers "teach well"... how can that be? are you talking about different grades? and if so, how do you distinguish which are well taught and which are not?
    7) how can your child be "demotivate"d? what is wrong with the people around him/her? isn't motivation something that should be encouraged in the home?
    8) what about CIS or HKIS, in your opinion, is "better"?

i'm not saying you are wrong, i'm only asking questions to find out why you believe what you do. i've been in the education field for a long time and i've never heard the complaints that you have about FIS, so i'm curious.

for specific information laid out in a simple and straightforward way, try http://www.geoschools.com (a sister site to geobaby)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast