Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

C section in public hospital

Aquarian is offline Registered User

C section in public hospital

Hi all, just had my 20 week scan and discovered the placenta is covering the cervix. The dr was hopeful it would move out the way, but if it doesn't I will have to have a c/s - which is absolutely what I didn't want.

I know it's a long way off but I'd be interested to hear any experiences from mums who had c/s in a public hospital. Especially in terms of breast feeding and how long you had to stay in hospital.

Thanks

carang is offline Registered User
    i've had two.

(1) emergency c-section. not fun for me, not their fault. breastfeeding was fine, but i couldn't do it until the anesthetic wore off.
    (2) planned c-section under general anesthesia (i had issues with my first delivery, epi didn't work). much better delivery. i preferred it to being awake for the first.
    breastfeeding fine, but my girl had to go into special care, so i couldn't start until she was about 28 hours old. but still no problems.

i was out of the hospital within 2-3 days.
    i delivered the first in 2005 and the second in 2007

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I had c-section in PWH 2009. I was awake for it. I had to stay in recovery for half an hour after op but then my daughter was given to me as I was being wheeled in to the ward so that I could breast feed and for the first 24 hours the nurses brought her to me every time she needed feeding.
    The first night she stayed in the nursery because I couldnt get out of the bed (they brought her to me through the night to be fed and did not try to give her formula) but the next morning she was in her crib beside me and never left (except when the nurses took her to bath her).
    I had her on the Tuesday afternoon and was released on the Friday.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Aquarian, I had a c-section in the PWH in 2010. Same experience as Amy except my baby was brought to me while I was in recovery, and I discharged myself after 2 days. I wrote a birthing plan which I gave them which stressed skin to skin contact as soon as possible and the importance of breast feeding to me. I had plenty of criticisms for other aspects of the hospital, but I have to say they were great about the breast feeding.

charade is offline Registered User
    I had a c-sec at United Christian this January. My baby was breech and while I was dithering over whether to have an ECV or a c-sec, I went into labour so had an emergency c-sec. Funnily, I can't remember exactly how long I was in hospital - it was three or four night max. I think it was three. My baby had a kidney issue that was diagnosed in a prenatal scan so she was taken to the special care unit. So the first night I didn't breastfeed her - not sure if they help c-sec mums breastfeed if their babies are in the regular nursery on the same floor. I think it depends on your recovery and also on how your baby is doing (a pediatrician has to certify the baby is fine to go home).

I had read somewhere that one should try to get off the bed as soon as possible so eight hours after surgery I went to the toilet myself. I was wheeled to the loo and then the nurse was okay, you can walk back. Huh! I highly do not recommend it - blinding pain that literally left me shaking. Do the sensible thing and use the bed pan which they do offer for the first stretch after a c-sec...For some reason, I was feeling skittish about the bed pans.

They are pro-breastfeeding and as soon as your baby is in the nursery (and your blood pressure stabalises) they will push you to go there and breastfeed. It is pretty challenging just lowering yourself into a chair holding the baby with the big c-sec cut (but after four days it just gets so much better and frankly from there on found it easier than my previous vaginal birth with episiotomy). If for any reason, breastfeeding is not possible (like when my baby was in special care for a night) they cup-feed formula. They make you record the baby's pee and poop and if they feel the baby is losing weight, they will help you with a supplementary nursing device (they do not rush to do this so if they offer it, accept it). The baby of the lady in the bed next to me got jaundice and had to be under the blue light in special care...once she was mobile (ie after one night), they encouraged her to go there to breastfeed and also, helped her pump. So yeah, they do a lot to help you with breastfeeding. Honestly, amazed at the extra work they take on in the service of breastfeeding. More than the private hospital I was supposed to deliver at (Baptist) was willing to commit to. A nurse from United Christian even called me up a couple of weeks after I went home to ask me how breastfeeding was going and if there were any problems. I also had a community nurse come to my home - for the princely sum of HK$60 - to check on my wound, the baby and breastfeeding.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Thank you all so much. That has definitely put my mind at rest a bit. I'll be at UCH too so it's great to hear they're so supportive of breast feeding. (not sure i'd be keen on the bed pans either though!)