Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital experience

Hazeee is offline Registered User

Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital experience

Hi ladies,

I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant and due on January 5, 2013. This is my first pregnancy and I'm very clueless. I'm booked in Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital. I have read some posts about the other's experience in PYNH but they were 5 years ago. I just want to know about anyone's recent experience about their labor in PYNH.

For example:

I know that they give you a list of things to pack for the hospital, but I assume that there would be things I would need that aren't included in the list. What were the things you needed that weren't in the list?

Also, would my husband be able to stay the night with me after labor?

Would the baby be able to stay in the same room with me throughout the day or do they need to keep him in the nursery even at night?

Many thanks!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Have you seen this thread? Stand and Deliver: My most recent birth experience

I was booked in to deliver at PY but was transferred to QMH for medical reasons. Personally from my experience (which was only prenatal), I preferred PY because it was quieter. Also I was REALLY looking forward to the special accommodation ward, which I recommend you look into. The special accommodation ward is a quieter room with extended visiting hours. Also kids are permitted to visit in that ward, but they are not allowed in the public ward.

To answer your other questions - in every public hospital, husbands cannot stay overnight. Not sure about if you were in a completely private room, but definitely not in the public ward or in the special accommodation ward. The baby, however, can be with you as much (or as little) as you like. They encourage the baby to room in and also encourage breastfeeding (although personally I thought at QMH the breastfeeding support could have been greater... it was there "in theory" but had little practical help for first time mums).

Hazeee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Have you seen this thread? Stand and Deliver: My most recent birth experience

I was booked in to deliver at PY but was transferred to QMH for medical reasons. Personally from my experience (which was only prenatal), I preferred PY because it was quieter. Also I was REALLY looking forward to the special accommodation ward, which I recommend you look into. The special accommodation ward is a quieter room with extended visiting hours. Also kids are permitted to visit in that ward, but they are not allowed in the public ward.

To answer your other questions - in every public hospital, husbands cannot stay overnight. Not sure about if you were in a completely private room, but definitely not in the public ward or in the special accommodation ward. The baby, however, can be with you as much (or as little) as you like. They encourage the baby to room in and also encourage breastfeeding (although personally I thought at QMH the breastfeeding support could have been greater... it was there "in theory" but had little practical help for first time mums).
    Thanks so much for the info! I'll get into reading your birth experience after this. By the way, I have another question. My husband is currently in Canada. He plans to fly here before my due date but of course we cannot really tell the exact day baby decides to pop out. If he doesn't get here in time, do you think it's possible for someone else to come inside the delivery room with me (for example, my mother)?