Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Dr. Edmund Hon Vs Dr. Patrick Chan? Sanatorium delivery?

buby is offline Registered User

Dr. Edmund Hon Vs Dr. Patrick Chan? Sanatorium delivery?

Hi, I'm about 9 weeks along my second pregnancy and have seen Dr. Alex Doo once. He's very good but his fees are a bit too steep for me as I have very limited insurance coverage, and he also seems to prefer Matilda and I want to pick Sanatorium, so I'm looking for another OBGYN.
    I did some research and saw that Dr. Edmund Hon and Dr. Patrick Chan are relatively cheap (both consultation and the actual delivery charges) and I was wondering if anybody can share their recent experiences?

I made an appointment with Dr. Chan last week and he canceled last minute (one hour before my appointment) to tell me his patients went into labor, so he seems to be very busy. His receptionist is also not so friendly I find. But he seems to be the more seasoned doctor between the two.

Any comments would be appreciated. Also any comments on giving birth at Sanatorium would be appreciated. Looking at the facilities I find it is the best and seems to be the cheapest (vs Matilda and Adventist), but I did read some comments about it being flooded with mainland moms.

Thanks in advance!

juniebug is offline Registered User
    Hi Buby, not sure if you've chosen another OBGYN yet but I'm using Dr. Hon and he is nice although busy. He definitely prefers Matilda (or even Adventist) over Sanatorium though. That said, I'm still planning on going to Sanatorium since the location is better for me.

Sweetblueberry is offline Registered User
    just a quick comment regarding mainlanders delivering in HK. It's my understanding that this is no longer allowed so hopefully it isn't an issue anymore at any hospital :)

Sweetblueberry is offline Registered User
    and Congrats buby!!!

IcePrincezzz is offline Registered User
    Hi Buby,

I used Dr. Hon and delivered a baby boy in April 2013.
    I'm really satisfied with Dr.Hon. He's nice and will always take his time to answer your questions and concerns if you have any. Yes, he's busy but ask the receptionist to book you on days when it's less people. Eg. Mondays are NOT a good day to have appointments on. Also ask them to call you an hour in advance if they are running behind the schedule. Then you don't need to sit and wait for an hour...

I'm really picky when it comes to doctors and hate those Chinese doctors that gives you loads of medicine for every tiny thing. Dr. Hon was nothing like that and he did his research about pregnancy in Sweden so that he could tell me the differences between Sweden and Hong Kong. That made my very confident about the whole thing if being pregnant and to the actually delivery as I wanted it to be as good as in Sweden (where I come from).

Unfortunately, my son was in breech position and didn't want to turn around at all so we had to do a C-section. Never been as frightened as when we decided that that's the best for the baby. I'm very happy we had chosen Dr. Hon because he talked me through the whole thing and made me co fistfight would go well. - and it did!
    My scar is very well sewn and almost gone by now (3.5 months later), my baby boy us healthy and I feel great. No complications.

Conclusion, I would definite choose Dr. Hon again if I ever gets pregnant again!

Good luck!

Btw. Dr. Hon has some great packages to choose from instead of the normal price list (that is normally given to people with an insurance). Just ask for it :-)

Hi - thanks for everyone's inputs.
    I actually searched around and found that Dr. Patrick Chan has the most reasonable antenatal fees so have started to see him, but it's only been one appointment and he seems nice but not as patient as Dr. Hon. I went to Dr. Hon for one appointment also but he pushed quite strongly for a C-section (I had a C-section for my first baby) and since I wanted to try VBAC, I went to Dr. Chan.
    I'm torn between the two (one is more patient, the other seems more open to VBAC) but have gone ahead to book Sanatorium anyway as I'm already in week 13.
    If anyone has heard anything bad about Dr. Chan (or Dr. Hon for that matter) please let me know!
    Thanks!!

tibbar2011 is offline Registered User
    Hi Buby
    Did you end up sticking to Dr Chan?

Hi yes I did (at this point I am 33 weeks) and so far have been satisfied.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast