Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st trimester downs screening in public system

firsttime_mommy is offline Registered User

1st trimester downs screening in public system

Hi, I have a first appt with tsan yuk hospital at 12 weeks to see the nurse. Im a little worried that its already quite late especially if they have to schedule the downs screening test. The receptionist is not particularly friendly and tells me this is the earliest they can offer me.

Should I be booking a private one just in case tsan yuk doesn't come through? Or will they make the second appointment for downs screening quite soon after the first? Also I read a few (old) posts on the site which said 1st trimester screening wasn't offered through the public system for women below 35 - but my sense is this is offered. Could someone confirm please if you gave had any recent experience with the system?

Thanks!

Sweetblueberry is offline Registered User
    I had the first appt at Tsan Yuk at 12 weeks and had the downs screening test done the same day.

At the first visit, you actually don't get to see a Dr. Here's how it went for me:
    - registration where they give you a packet of information
    - weighing, blood pressure station and urine analysis
    - you watch a video that goes over the downs screening process as you wait to meet with a nurse. During that video, it was mentioned that they offer the screening to all women now.
    - meet with the nurse to go over your personal data, any questions and draw blood
    - if you opt for the downs screening, you wait again to be called to see a sonographer.
    - tell the sonographer if you want a picture of the baby... each printed frame costs $240.
    - then you wait again for the appointment desk to schedule your next visit (which will be with a Dr.) and at the next appt you will be given the results of your blood work and downs screening test.

there is a wait between each of these activities... the total process took around 2.5 hours

firsttime_mommy is offline Registered User
    Thanks Sweetblueberry. Could you tell me when you next visit with the doc was scheduled? Just trying to understand how much time it would take to know the results? Does the sonographer give any hint at all about the US results like the gap for the NT? Thanks

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    I asked when i had mine done and she said it was 'normal' but you can see the measurements on the screen as they do it so you can tell for yourself. remember the nt scan alone isn't definitive though if your measurements are at either end of the scale (<1.5 or > 3.5) that tends to be fairly reliable.

the second Tsan Yuk visit was schedule for 2 weeks later. They use the no news is good news approach to deliver the downs screening results... if there is a positive result, they will reach out to you via phone or snail mail, if it is negative, you won't hear from them.

I asked the sonographer when she was conducting the test if she saw anything but she said that it's a complicated algorithm that needs to take into account the results of your blood work, maternal age and the neck measurements. She didn't give me any hints and told me to assume that it's normal for now. It's not the most comforting thing to hear and i was nervous for two weeks. Thinking back, following the advice of the sonographer to take it easy would have been better for the baby.

At the second appt, I was shown the results of the scan and blood work (all normal)... and was relieved. If you want to keep a copy of the report - which i asked for my personal records at home - you need to "apply" for it at the medical records dept on the 6th floor of tsan yuk. I think it costs $70 per 10 pages of photo copies and they mail it to you within 4 weeks. I paid $70 and received it in 7 days.

Mingaling is offline Registered User
    Hi Sweetblueberry

Your tests were done at a hospital? Do you know if private doctors do such screenings for downs and/or other abnormalities? My private doctor says (at least thats what I gather from my discussion with the receptionist) they don't do blood work and screenings, just ultrasounds. That sounds odd to me as I am from New York and in New York, everything is done at the doctor's office with your doctor. Any guidance would be appreciated as I left my first prenatal visit with more questions now than before. Thanks!

Loveisgood is offline Registered User
    Hi Minaling, I am very curious of which private doctor said they don't do blood tests or screenings..sounds odd

Hi Mingaling,

I had bloodwork and the downs screening done at Tsan Yuk Hospital. My private ob, Dr. Cora Ngai, also does blood tests and I had some done with her too. I'm pretty sure she also does downs screening as well. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast