Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Ultrasound at Public Hospital

moa
    moa is offline Registered User

Ultrasound at Public Hospital

I had ultrasound last week at Tsen Kwan O hospital (public) at my 12 week pregnancy for down syndrome test. They did not give us an option to get a picture and on top of that, I was told that this is the first and last time I get ultrasound unless I encounter a complication along the way --- Public hospitals perform ultrasound only once??!!

I thought the public would give you an ultrasound picture if you pay?
    Since I hadn't reached 13 weeks, it was too soon to tell the gender of my baby. So that means I have to go somewhere else to find out if it's boy or girl in a week time?

I know the gender of your baby doesn't have to do with your health, but I thought finding out the gender is a basic thing...????

Please help me out here!! xx

bellamojo is offline Registered User
    Hi there moa,
    Yeah apparently, due to "cutbacks" in some hospitals, they really aren't offering much in the way of scans. Case in point: I had my first at Prince of Wales hospital in ShaTin (public) in December 2013. There was the 12-week Down's scan, a 20-week fetal morphology, and a follow-up third trimester scan upon recommendation of the doctor at the local MCHC.
    I am pregnant again and due in April 2015. Same hospital. I had the 12-week scan, and that was it. Not even a 20-week morphology scan! When I pointed out the difference in their services ONE YEAR APART, they unapologetically told me they just don't offer these things anymore because of cutbacks. So I went to a private doctor for the 20-week morphology scan, which cost $2000, and at the same time found out the baby's sex. I will be going back to him after 32 weeks for a check-up, and a basic ultrasound is under $1000.
    It just sucks, but that's what it is these days. Shocked at how much changed at the same hospital in just one year. Very bare bones at some public hospitals. But the immediate health care of you and your baby at delivery time will be top-notch, so at least that won't be a worry!
    Take advantage of everything that is offered to you in the public system, and pay for whatever else you want in the private system. It's still way cheaper than going to a private hospital!
    moa likes this.

moa
    Thank you very much for your reply and useful information!

I’m quite surprised that the public hospitals decided to do “cutback” even now that they have more restrictions for Non-HKID holders giving birth in Hong Kong… It must be more frustrating for you since you had completely different experiences only a year ago! When I asked the nurse if I was going to have another scan, she looked at me as if I was crazy to ask such question, saying “NO”!

I will still stick with Public for the obvious reason, but hopefully I can find a place where they offer ultrasound for cheaper price…

We are only two months apart!
    All the best to the rest of your journey! : )

xx

rocknrollmama is offline Registered User
    Same thing with me. This is my first baby (due feb 2015) and I had my one and only ultrasound in QEH at 12 weeks during Down syndrome test and that was it. I had my gender ultrasound at 20 weeks in a private OBYGYN for $800 in mong kok. (DR.IRENE HON) and a 3D ultrasound at 25 weeks at baby icon for $1000. I recommend both!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    moa likes this.

moa
    Thank you so much for sharing the info! I will for sure check out Dr.Irene Hon!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, usually the public hospitals only perform one scan. However, I have always opted to not have the early screenings (Down's Syndrome etc.) done so my scans have always been the "structural" scan in which they make sure the baby's organs, spine etc. are all developed properly and usually they can tell you the gender of your baby at that time too...this is performed around 20-24 weeks. One time, a nice ultrasound tech actually did give us a print-out of the picture. But, that's really rare.
    moa likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

moa
    FYI...

I called Dr. Irene Hon to schedule an appointment and I was informed that they raised their price from $800 to $ 900 for ultra sound starting Sep, 2014.

I'm still going to her tho! : )
    rocknrollmama likes this.

beautysasa is offline Registered User
    you may also consider to take an DNA screening test from O&G doctor too. I did the test at Dr. Ong's clinic around 11st week of pregnancy. it's fast, easy and Dr Ong was very nice.
    she helped me did the ultrasound & the screening "V test" to check my baby's genetic conditions. And i received the report after a week with detail explanation fm Dr Ong (the report can find out the gender too)

I would strongly recommend you to check out Dr Ong's test too! :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast