Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Feedback on giving birth at Princess Margaret Hospital

Rituparna is offline Registered User

Feedback on giving birth at Princess Margaret Hospital

Hi all the lovely Mums,
    I am due in Aug 2018. I live in Tung Chung. Looking for some feedback on giving birth at PMH. I am new in HK and my first child was born in India in a private hospital. My husband and I are a little skeptical about delivering in a public hospital (primarily bcz we are unaware of the entire experience out there). We do have insurance coverage upto $50,000.

Is there anyone out there who can give me a feedback on delivering at PMH. Overall experience, neonatal care, doctors etc....

Thanks in advance.

NateM is offline Registered User

My wife gave birth to our son 5 years ago at Princess Margaret, and then just had our 2nd child here at a private hospital in the US last month, so we have experience in both worlds. In general, I'd say we had a very good experience at Princess Margaret. Though you don't get quite as much individualized attention as in the US, there was never any hint that staff were unprofessional or not making sure you were taken care of. That said, there aren't going to be as many creature comforts (think private room/dining options), as you would get at a private hospital. Also, make sure you request the epidural with plenty of time in advance! But overall both my wife and I were quite pleased with it, and in many ways prefer it to the US. If we were planning on having another child, we would gladly return.

Things to note:
    You will not have your own room. Pre-delivery you are in a room with about a dozen other women in various stages of labor. Once you are close, you are taken to a delivery room.
    Staff is generally curteous and professional, if a bit impersonal due to the number of patients they look after
    Husband/family only allowed in the visiting area a few hours per day to avoid crowding the mothers/newborns.
    Cost is a big plus. Not sure if it has changed at all, but the only thing we paid for was HK$100 per night for the 3 nights my wife stayed at the hospital. Everything else was free.
    Also, unlike the US, there isn't this pressure to stay at home until you are close to giving birth. This allows you to be more relaxed (assuming you know you are going into labor early enough).
    You won't have a specific assigned doctor when you give birth, (not sure we ever even caught their names). The plus side is that you don't have to wait for 'your' doctor to be available/arrive and can just start receiving care as soon as you need it.

Rituparna is offline Registered User

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. That answers a lot of my questions.

jules36 is offline Registered User

Dear OP, hope you had a safe delivery! Could you kindly share your delivery experience at PMH? Thanks!

vn1412 is offline Registered User

Hello. Hope you had a safe delivery. how was your experience with PMH? Did you go C sec or normal labour?

vn1412 is offline Registered User

Hi. Just curious, is the husband is allowed to be in the delivery room / during labour? Thanks for your feedback.